detect version of java installed?

aotemp

Does anyone know how to detect the version of Java installed?

My website has an application that requires java 1.5+ to be installed,
basically if the user doesn;t already have it installed I redirect them
to the java download page...

thanks!

Tim Slattery

Does anyone know how to detect the version of Java installed?

My website has an application that requires java 1.5+ to be installed,
basically if the user doesn;t already have it installed I redirect them
to the java download page...

You're in the wrong group, we discuss Javascript, not Java. The two
are completely different.

Try comp.lang.java.programmer

Dag Sunde

Tim said:
You're in the wrong group, we discuss Javascript, not Java. The two
are completely different.

Try comp.lang.java.programmer

Not a directly JS related question, I agree, but I have a small applet
that I use in conjuction with JavaScript to determine exactly what the
OP is after...

here's The Applet Code...:

import java.applet.Applet;
import java.awt.HeadlessException;
import java.awt.*;
/**
* @author Dag Sunde
* @version 1.0
*/

public class Detector extends Applet {
public Detector() throws HeadlessException {
}

public void init() {
add(new Label(getJavaVersion()));

}
public String getJavaVersion() {
return System.getProperty("java.version");

And here's the HTML/JS with how to use it:

<head>
<script type="text/javascript">

var VERSION_REQUIRED = "1.5.0";

function checkPlugIn() {
// Check for Java Plugin Version
var javaVersion;
try {
javaVersion =
document.getElementById('detectPluginApplet').getJavaVersion();
}
catch (e) {
javaVersion = null;
}

if(javaVersion == null) {
alert("No Java Plugin detected");
}
else {
alert("Java Plugin version " + javaVersion + " detected");
}

if ( javaVersion >= VERSION_REQUIRED ) {
alert("You are cleared to procede...");
}
else {
alert("You must go to the java download page to get the correct Java
Plugin...");
document.location.href =
http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/index.jsp;
}
return true;
}
</script>
</head>

<object classid="clsid:8AD9C840-044E-11D1-B3E9-00805F499D93"
id="detectPluginApplet"
data="Detector.class"
type="application/x-java-applet"
codebase="."
width = "1"
height = "1"
align = "middle"
vspace = "0"
hspace = "0"<param name = "code" value = "Detector"/>
<param name = "codebase" value = ".">
<param name = "mayscript" value ="true"/>
<param name = "scriptable" value = "true">
<param name = "progressbar" value="true" />
<param name = "boxmessage" value="Laster detektor applet"/>
</object>

aotemp

Thanks!

But I tried this, getting the java plugin always results in an error!
(making the javaVersion == null)....

Dag Sunde

Thanks!

But I tried this, getting the java plugin always results in an error!
(making the javaVersion == null)....

Ah... Sorry about that... Hadn't tested it myself

It should work in IE (As long as you fixed my typos
and missing string terminators, et.c).

But the object tag won't work properly across browsers,
so replace the html-body i gave you with this instead:

<applet
id="detectPluginApplet"
code="Detector.class"
width = "1"
height = "1"
align = "middle"
vspace = "0"
hspace = "0"</applet>

and it should work. The "Detector.class" file must of course
be in the same directory as the html-file.

I have now actually tested what I gave you ;-) And it works ok
in IE6.0, FF 2.0 and Opera 9.0...