Detecting computers on network

Sandeep Arya

Hello dear

I had sent my earlier queries regarding same topic. However just to be more
specific this time..

I just wann try to detect that if there are some ip address in a list of
some ip address alive or not.

How can i do this?

Shall i try to connect them and check that my connection is working or not?
If working than means alive .... (connection based)

SHalle i send some buffer value (whatever) to socket using sendto(...) and
then checking for return value? (Connectionless)

Well for me it doesnot matter that i should have connection or
connectionless.. I just wannn know who are alive in my LAN?

This application will be for my computers in lan. not for maganetwork.

LAN will have just some bridges and computers.

i need to detect tham all..

however i doesnot matter that all of them replies or not. I just wann know
that atleast some of them reply. Rest i will take care of...

Sandeep

NRIs, does your family in India need money urgently?
http://creative.mediaturf.net/creatives/icicibank/ICICI_NRI_ERA.htm Open an
ICICI Bank NRI savings A/c

linuxfreak

How about sending an ICMP echo packet to your broadcast address and
checking which hosts send a reply

linuxfreak

How about sending an ICMP echo packet to your broadcast address and
checking which hosts send a reply

Sybren Stuvel

linuxfreak enlightened us with:
How about sending an ICMP echo packet to your broadcast address and
checking which hosts send a reply

Won't work on all boxes. Windows boxes ignore broadcast pings, for
example.

I'd go for a call to "nmap -sP" instead, and filter it's output.

Sybren

Peter Tillotson

You could use a sniffer in promiscuous mode. pypcap -- or something
like. This will record every packet seen by your network card. Whether
is will work depends on whether you are on a true braodcast network.

if a box is on and completely inactive you'll never see it, but most
boxes do something. Windows boxes positively shout about there presence :)

baically this is pasive nmap, nmap will try to open a tcp or udp
connection on every machine. your going to generat a lot of traffic.

If you've got access to the boxes enabling ICMP and using that is the
proper way.

Sybren Stuvel

Peter Tillotson enlightened us with:
You could use a sniffer in promiscuous mode. pypcap -- or something
like. This will record every packet seen by your network card.
Whether is will work depends on whether you are on a true braodcast
network.

That's not going to work on a switched network, which most modern
networks are.
Windows boxes positively shout about there presence :)

Definitely true.
baically this is pasive nmap, nmap will try to open a tcp or udp
connection on every machine. your going to generat a lot of
traffic.

Not if you tell it to use ICMP pings only.

Sybren