    Any insight is appreciated!

    Thanks,
    Ben

    Ben Long, Jul 18, 2006

  2. Ben Long

    Randy Webb Guest

    Ben Long said the following on 7/18/2006 5:53 PM:
    No, and it is typically irrelevant.
    Probably because it is irrelevant.
    Your assumption is correct.

    Why does it matter though?

    Randy Webb, Jul 18, 2006

  3. Ben Long

    Ben Long Guest

    Hi Randy,

    Thanks for getting back to me. Ultimately, you're correct - it is
    completely irrelevant. The reason I asked is one of our engineers
    approached me with a problem he's having using a third-party component
    with one of our IE web apps. The component is a 'rich-text-editor' that
    utilizes the Microsoft-centric ExecCommand
    (http://msdn.microsoft.com/workshop/author/dhtml/reference/methods/execcommand.asp)
    and allows people to format text within the browser.

    The problem he is having when using the third-party tool: if the client
    declares a font that is the system default font, the third-party
    utility ignores the request by excluding the formatting tags and allows
    the browser to render the font using the default font setting. Insane,
    I know. The problem he is having is inconsistency in the DOM with some
    elements missing wrappers.

    My recommendation is to use a different control for the rich-formatting
    of text.

    Thanks again!

    - Ben

    Ben Long, Jul 19, 2006