Display Detail Data

Reggie

Hi and TIA! I have a datagrid that displays my and returns 25 columns with
about 1500 records returned from my datasource after filtering. Couple
question/problems as follows:

Part 1
1-If set the AutoGenerateColumns="True" then after the page loads no data is
displayed. Why is this?
2-If I set it to AutoGenerateColumns="True" and AllowPaging="True" and set
each page to say "50" all works. This is fine but one other problem pops up
when a set AllowSorting="True" and move to another page the sorting returns
to the default sort column. Is there a way to keep the sorting when moving
between pages?

Part 2
I also have an editcommandcolumn that I want to use to open a new page for
editing the selected record, but instead of showing a detail view of the
record with the 25 columns going across the page I want to place them on one
viewable page. If you could give any tips or point me in the right
direction to accomplish this I would appreciate it.

Thanks for your time!!