Display Insert Template on FormView when "Add New" button is clicked

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by scartin, Jun 1, 2006.

  1. scartin

    scartin Guest

    I'm fairly new to working with ASP web controls, and am running into
    what seems to be a ridiculous problem that I'm hoping will be a breeze
    for an experienced ASP developer.

    I have a GridView and a FormView on the same page, where the GridView
    is visible at page load, and the FormView is set to Edit mode by
    default, but is hidden on the page. I have the Select link enabled on
    my GridView, and I use the SelectedIndexChanged event to hide the
    GridView, update the SelectCommand on my datasource with the
    SelectedIndex, and finally show the FormView. This all works
    beautifully, and I get my FormView populated with the data from the
    selected Index shown on the page.

    The code to handle this is fairly simple, and looks like the following:
    (with the bulk of the query removed for readability)
    Code (Text):

    protected void GridView1_SelectedIndexChanged(object sender, EventArgs
    e)
    {
    GridView1.Visible = false;
    FormView1.Visible = true;
    FormView1.ChangeMode(FormViewMode.Edit);
    dsPackageEdit.SelectCommand = "SELECT ... WHERE [ID] ="
    +GridView1.SelectedDataKey.Values["ID"];
    FormView1.DataBind();
    }

    scartin, Jun 1, 2006