Do you have an explanation for this?

George Ter-Saakov

I guess an ADO update had to be done.
Installation of MS SQL just did it

George.

Pravin A. Sable said:
Dear All

Error mentioned below this e-mail was NOT fixed.
1) After user ASP.net was given write privileges.
2) After giving write permission in IIS and Windows Explorer.

It was fixed,
After installing SQL Server 2000 Developer edition on my machine.

Can anybody tell, what is that SQL Server 2000 does which makes
connectivity to Access 2000 database possible for insert/update
operation possible in ASP.net code which wasn't possible earlier?

I think it is something to do with the way data is access. Please help.
Does this mean that if we want to connect to Access 2000 database,in
ASP.net we need to Install SQL Server :) If that's the case then it's
big move by Microsoft to sell SQL Server.

Those were nice days in VB6 when when we used to connect to access and
open as many connections as we want and it never used to complaint.

-Pravin

I am trying to execute following code

Sub SubmitBtn_Click(ByVal Sender As Object, ByVal E As EventArgs)
Dim DBConn As OleDbConnection
Dim DBInsert As New OleDbCommand
DBConn = New OleDbConnection("PROVIDER=" _
& "Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;" _
& "DATA SOURCE=" _
& Server.MapPath("Emps.mdb;"))
DBInsert.CommandText = "Insert Into Employees " _
& "(LastName, FirstName, PhoneNumber, EmailAddress, " _
& "Notes, DepartmentID) values (" _
& "'" & Replace(txtLastName.Text, "'", "''") & "', " _
& "'" & Replace(txtFirstName.Text, "'", "''") & "', " _
& "'" & Replace(txtPhoneNumber.Text, "'", "''") & "', " _
& "'" & Replace(txtEmailAddress.Text, "'", "''") _
& "', " _
& "'" & Replace(txtNotes.Text, "'", "''") & "', " _
& ddlDepartments.SelectedItem.Value & ")"
DBInsert.Connection = DBConn
DBInsert.Connection.Open()
DBInsert.ExecuteNonQuery()
Response.Redirect("./index.aspx")
End Sub

while executing following
DBInsert.ExecuteNonQuery()

query is
Insert Into Employees (LastName, FirstName, PhoneNumber, EmailAddress,
Notes, DepartmentID) values ('asdfas', 'asdf', 'asdfasfdasdf', 'asf',
'asdfasdf', 3)

I get an error saying as follows, Whats happening... it's new to me..
more to that its an example striaght copy paste from one book.

Operation must use an updateable query.

Exception Details: System.Data.OleDb.OleDbException: Operation must use
an updateable query.

Source Error:

Line 58: DBInsert.Connection = DBConn
Line 59: DBInsert.Connection.Open()
Line 60: DBInsert.ExecuteNonQuery()
Line 61: Response.Redirect("./index.aspx")
Line 62: End Sub

Source File: c:\inetpub\wwwroot\WebApplication1\add1.aspx.vb Line: 60

Stack Trace:

[OleDbException (0x80004005): Operation must use an updateable query.]
System.Data.OleDb.OleDbCommand.ExecuteCommandTextErrorHandling(Int32 hr)System.Data.OleDb.OleDbCommand.ExecuteCommandTextForSingleResult(tagDBPARAMS
dbParams, Object& executeResult)
System.Data.OleDb.OleDbCommand.ExecuteCommandText(Object& executeResult)
System.Data.OleDb.OleDbCommand.ExecuteCommand(CommandBehavior
behavior, Object& executeResult)
System.Data.OleDb.OleDbCommand.ExecuteReaderInternal(CommandBehavior
behavior, String method)
System.Data.OleDb.OleDbCommand.ExecuteNonQuery()
WebApplication1.add1.SubmitBtn_Click(Object Sender, EventArgs E) in
c:\inetpub\wwwroot\WebApplication1\add1.aspx.vb:60
System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e)

System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.System.Web.UI.IPostBackEventHandler.RaisePo
stBackEvent(String
eventArgument)
sourceControl, String eventArgument)
System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain()