Problems with Walkthrough: Editing and Inserting Data in Web Pages with the DetailsView Web Server C

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by tom c, Sep 19, 2006.

  1. tom c

    tom c Guest

    I am going through "Walkthrough: Editing and Inserting Data in Web
    Pages with the DetailsView Web Server Control" found at

    http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/sdba1d59.aspx

    I am using Access instead of SQL Server. Everything works fine until I
    get to the last step, where I try to insert a record. When I hit the
    New link it lets me add the new data, but then when I hit Insert, I get
    the yellow page which I have paseted below. I have been through this 3
    times and am stuck.

    Server Error in '/Test003' Application.
    You tried to assign the Null value to a variable that is not a Variant
    data type.

    Exception Details: System.Data.OleDb.OleDbException: You tried to
    assign the Null value to a variable that is not a Variant data type.

    Source Error:

    Stack Trace:

    [OleDbException (0x80004005): You tried to assign the Null value to a
    variable that is not a Variant data type.]

    System.Data.OleDb.OleDbCommand.ExecuteCommandTextForSingleResult(tagDBPARAMS
    dbParams, Object& executeResult) +177
    System.Data.OleDb.OleDbCommand.ExecuteCommandText(Object&
    executeResult) +194
    System.Data.OleDb.OleDbCommand.ExecuteCommand(CommandBehavior
    behavior, Object& executeResult) +56
    System.Data.OleDb.OleDbCommand.ExecuteReaderInternal(CommandBehavior
    behavior, String method) +105
    System.Data.OleDb.OleDbCommand.ExecuteNonQuery() +88

    System.Web.UI.WebControls.SqlDataSourceView.ExecuteDbCommand(DbCommand
    command, DataSourceOperation operation) +392

    System.Web.UI.WebControls.SqlDataSourceView.ExecuteInsert(IDictionary
    values) +403
    System.Web.UI.DataSourceView.Insert(IDictionary values,
    DataSourceViewOperationCallback callback) +68
    System.Web.UI.WebControls.DetailsView.HandleInsert(String
    commandArg, Boolean causesValidation) +390
    System.Web.UI.WebControls.DetailsView.HandleEvent(EventArgs e,
    Boolean causesValidation, String validationGroup) +609
    System.Web.UI.WebControls.DetailsView.OnBubbleEvent(Object source,
    EventArgs e) +87
    System.Web.UI.Control.RaiseBubbleEvent(Object source, EventArgs
    args) +35
    System.Web.UI.WebControls.DetailsViewRow.OnBubbleEvent(Object
    source, EventArgs e) +109
    System.Web.UI.Control.RaiseBubbleEvent(Object source, EventArgs
    args) +35
    System.Web.UI.WebControls.LinkButton.OnCommand(CommandEventArgs e)
    +86
    System.Web.UI.WebControls.LinkButton.RaisePostBackEvent(String
    eventArgument) +153

    System.Web.UI.WebControls.LinkButton.System.Web.UI.IPostBackEventHandler.RaisePostBackEvent(String
    eventArgument) +7
    sourceControl, String eventArgument) +11
    +172
    +4919

    tom c, Sep 19, 2006