Doubt

ജഗനàµà´¨à´¾à´¥àµ

Friends

I am a Perl programmer new to Python. I have a small doubt.
How to convert the perl notation
$a = ""; expression in Python ?

How to represent the loop
for ($a = $b; $a<=$c;$a++){
} in Python

Jagan
Linguist

Guilherme Polo

Friends

I am a Perl programmer new to Python. I have a small doubt.
How to convert the perl notation
$a = ""; expression in Python ?

a = ""
How to represent the loop
for ($a = $b; $a<=$c;$a++){
} in Python

for a in range(b, c + 1): pass

Sean DiZazzo

Friends

I am a Perl programmer new to Python. I have a small doubt.
How to convert the perl notation
$a = ""; expression in Python ?

How to represent the loop
for ($a = $b; $a<=$c;$a++){

} in Python

Jagan
Linguist

On most occasions you don't need to use the incrementing loop
behavior. Lists are the main data structure comparable to an array,
and you can iterate over them without using a counter. If you have:

aList = [1, 2, 3]

you can do

for item in aList:
print item

Hope this helps.

~Sean

Fredrik Lundh

ജഗനàµà´¨à´¾à´¥àµ said:
I am a Perl programmer new to Python. I have a small doubt.

I suspect you mean "question", not "doubt". It's not quite the same thing.
How to convert the perl notation
$a = ""; expression in Python ?

How to represent the loop
for ($a = $b; $a<=$c;$a++){
} in Python

Start here:

http://www.lucasmanual.com/mywiki/PerlPythonPhrasebook

and then read either of these (preferably both):

http://www.swaroopch.com/byteofpython/
http://docs.python.org/tut/

</F>

ജഗനàµà´¨à´¾à´¥àµ

I suspect you mean "question", not "doubt". It's not quite the same thing.
Thank you for all to giving suggestions .

With regards

Jaganadh G

Diez B. Roggisch

Fredrik said:
I suspect you mean "question", not "doubt". It's not quite the same
thing.

It seems to be an Indian/Asian thing. By now, I tuned myself to read "doubt"
as "question/problem"...

Diez

Michael Torrie

You said:
How to represent the loop
for ($a = $b; $a<=$c;$a++){
} in Python

As other pointed out, iterating through a list or range is often a far
more elegant way to do a loop than a C-style loop. But the C-style for
loop is just syntactic sugar for a while loop. In some cases, C-style
for loops can have an initializer, a set of conditions, and incrementer
parts that are all based on different variables. For example:

for (a=begin_func() ; x < 3 and sometest(b) ; i=somefunc() )

This highly illogical and contrived function could not be represented in
python with a simple "for x in blah" statement. Rather you have to
represent it in its true form, which is a while loop:

a=begin_func()
while x < 3 and sometest(b):
#do stuff
#loop body
i=somefunc()

In fact, the perl/c for loop of the form:

for (<initializer>;<condition>;<incrementer>)

always translates directly to:

<initializer>
while <condition>:
#loop body