Drawing lines, pixels, circles with DHTML/Ajax/ActiveX

jason.m.ho

Hello,
I am writing a no-plugin networked Sketchpad program (DHTML,
Comet/Ajax). Because I am trying to avoid using Flash or Java Applet, I
rendered my strokes at first with the wz_jsgraphics library
(http://www.walterzorn.com/jsgraphics/jsgraphics_e.htm). It turned out
that that was too inefficient, and if you drew too many things on the
screen firefox would crash. So I looked into SVG for Firefox. This
works great because it is rendering a vector drawing (instead of many
absolutely positioned div elements). The problem is that IE doesn't
support SVGs.

My question:
Is there something I can use with IE that can draw
lines/pixels/circles/etc. without needing plugins? Any ActiveX stuff I
can do? My goal is to check if the browser supports SVG. If it doesn't,
it will render with Active X, or whatever solution there is for IE.
Anyone know of anything I can look into?

Thanks,
Jason Ho

Jeremy

Julian said:
(e-mail address removed) wrote:

[snip]
Is there something I can use with IE that can draw
lines/pixels/circles/etc. without needing plugins?
[/snip]

Take a look at <url:http://sourceforge.net/projects/excanvas>
And one of the contributors
<url:http://webfx.eae.net/dhtml/chart/demo.html> and
<url:http://me.eae.net/>

Regards

Julian Turner

That's amazing. Probably the single most useful little gem I've seen in
a while! Thanks for posting that link.

Jeremy

Evertjan.

Jeremy wrote on 09 okt 2006 in comp.lang.javascript:
Julian said:
(e-mail address removed) wrote:

[snip]
Is there something I can use with IE that can draw
lines/pixels/circles/etc. without needing plugins?
[/snip]

Take a look at <url:http://sourceforge.net/projects/excanvas>
And one of the contributors
<url:http://webfx.eae.net/dhtml/chart/demo.html> and
<url:http://me.eae.net/>

That's amazing. Probably the single most useful little gem I've seen in
a while! Thanks for posting that link.

Keeping it simple:

<http://devrijehuisarts.org/test/jsgraph.asp>

VK

That's amazing. Probably the single most useful little gem I've seen in
a while! Thanks for posting that link.

That's amazing. Probably the single most useful little gem I've seen in
a while! Thanks for posting that link.

For Chris sees it!
Still painting thousands of DIV's do get the desired effect as these
are medieval times still around.

I've realized the state of a "charming innocence" about graphics
capabilities of modern browsers only after a few posts at
<mozilla.dev.tech.svg>
That is indeed charming up to being upsetting.
Listen guys, you don't have to wait for California to say its word
first: every time you want to move forward. I've got the permission to
reverse-engineer our SVL (Superimposed Vector Language) library (so all
its hacks and workarounds would get visible again) for the public
audience.
IE 5.5 or higher, Firefox 1.5 or higher, Camino 1.0 or higher, Opera
8.0 or higher, Netscape 8.x or higher).
SVL is an interface atop of SVG and VML languages *natively* supported
by the listed browsers. The library (SVL TinyToys) is fully functional
and as simple to use as a fart (deeply sorry).
Yet there are thousands of French purses on my way as usual at this
time of the season (I have to put into db etc) I HATE French purses -
and I'm looking for a volunteer to write a help and samples - with
his/her name written in copyrights' release.
(e-mail address removed)