Drip shows leak on an empty page?

Matt Kruse

I'm using Drip 0.5 to test for a memory leak in some code. After reducing
the page down bit by bit to find the leak, I ended up with an empty page
that still leaked!

The page source is exactly this:

It doesn't leak the same amount each page load - sometimes it's 8192,
sometimes it's 16384, sometimes even reducing the memory load. But the
overall trend is an upward movement. I let it run for 10 minutes and it
leaked almost 10MB, so it's about 1MB/min.

This is not a serious leak, but it's making it harder to know if a leak is
caused by the js code or this other thing going on.

Has anyone else run into this? Any ideas what the problem is? I've shut down
all processes, removed all IE add-ons, etc, but no change.

VK

Matt said:
I'm using Drip 0.5 to test for a memory leak in some code.

For important tests I wouldn't use any software below the first
official release (>=1.0)

For IE I'm using Microsoft Script Debugger 1.0 with [debugger]
statement to "freeze" and study the memory state and then if needed
Visual C++ 6.0 tools (Process Viewer and Heap Walk) for really
fine-tune details. Not claiming it to be the best option, but I have
more trust to the results obtained this way than to "ultimate" 0.xx
tools from the Web.
Strictly IMHO of course.