Dynamic form fields added with appendChild or innerHTML do not POST on submit in Firefox

Derek Basch

I spent several hours struggling with dynamic form fields added with
appendChild or innerHTML not POSTing on submit in Firefox. The only
way I found to make it work is to append any created fields to a DIV
within the form. Here is an example I store from another post. I hope
this helps someone.

<head>
charset=ISO-8859-1">
<title>creating input elements dynamically</title>
<script type="text/javascript">
function addInput () {
var div;
if (document.getElementById) {
div = document.getElementById('hiddenList');
var input;
if (document.createElement && (input =
document.createElement('input'))) {
input.type = 'hidden';
input.name = 'currentDate';
input.defaultValue = input.value = new Date().toString();
div.appendChild(input);

function showQueryString () {
document.write('<p>location.search: ' + location.search + '<\/p>\r
\n');
}

</script>

</head>
<script type="text/javascript">
showQueryString();
</script>

<form name="form1" action="test.php">

<input type="submit" onClick="addInput()">
</form>