dynamically set named_scope based on current_user

John Merlino

Hey all,
I keep getting the following error:

The error occurred while evaluating nil.size

Based on the current user, when they navigate to a page, I want to limit
them to what they can see based on their site. Problem is there is no
association between site and user table directly. A contact has_one user
(user information is stored in current_user variable). A site has_many
contacts. And a site has_many students, where students table has a
foreign key of site_id. So there is a link between students and site, so
when the current user navigates to students page, they can only see
students from same site as them. I can do this by hard coding a number
in a named_scope to only display students for the site of the
current_user. But different users will belong to different sites so when
logged in, the site their associated with will change. That's the
problem - to dynamically set that value in a named_scope. This is what I
have:

StudentsController

def index_scoper
if current_user.role_id == 8
super.site_staff_limit while current_user[:site_id] #The problem is
the user table has no site_id. There is no direct link between the users
table and sites table. However, there is a link between users and
contacts and then site and contacts and then site and students, where
students table has site_id.
else
super.with_state.with_site
end
end

Student Model
named_scope :site_staff_limit, lambda {|site_id| {:conditions =>
{:site_id => site_id}}}

Thanks for any suggestions.

John Merlino

John said:
[...]

relationship between tables:

users: contact_id
contact: primary key, contactable_id, contactable_type
site: primary key
student: site_id

User model
belongs_to :contact

Contact model
has_one :user
belongs_to :contactable, :polymorphic => true, :dependent => :destroy

Site model
has_many :contacts, :as => :contactable
has_many :students

Students model
belongs_to :site

This successfully limits the students by site:
StudentsController
def index_scoper
if current_user.role_id == 8
super.site_staff_limit
else
super.with_state.with_site
end
end

Students model
named_scope :site_staff_limit, :conditions => {:site_id => 1}

The problem is different users will belong to different sites, so they
can only access student records of the site they belong to. I am having
difficulty making that named_scope above dynamic enough to accomplish
this.

Phillip Gawlowski

The problem is different users will belong to different sites, so they
can only access student records of the site they belong to. I am having
difficulty making that named_scope above dynamic enough to accomplish
this.

Since I suspect this is a Rails app, you will have better success when
asking the Rails community:
http://rubyonrails.org/community

Brian Candler

John said:
That's the
problem - to dynamically set that value in a named_scope.

Don't use a named scope; create an anonymous scope dynamically.

class ApplicationController
def students(staff_id = session[:staff_id])
Student.scoped:)conditions => {:staff_id => staff_id})
end
end

@students = students.find(...)

Or you can make a helper method using with_scope.