edit and continue

Rena

Hi all,
I am now using VS Net 2003, but i found that i need to restart the web
app. once i edit my code.
correct me if i remembered wrongly, as I do not need to restart my web app
b4 to make my code changes effective b4 when i am using VS 2000 or 2003 (i
forget which version, I had used b4)

My question is "How can I make code changes without restart my web app. in
debug mode?"

thanks a lot.
Rena

Craig Deelsnyder

Hi all,
I am now using VS Net 2003, but i found that i need to restart the
web
app. once i edit my code.
correct me if i remembered wrongly, as I do not need to restart my web
app
b4 to make my code changes effective b4 when i am using VS 2000 or 2003
(i
forget which version, I had used b4)

My question is "How can I make code changes without restart my web app.
in
debug mode?"

thanks a lot.
Rena

Do you mean by restart the app: to have to stop and restart debugging? If
so, you can't edit/recompile code while running in debug mode in VS.NET.
However, if you are not in debug mode (start via Ctrl + F5 instead), you
can edit the code, etc. and just refresh the page....

Rena

Hi Craig,
I mean:
1. given that i want to go into debug mode to trace some bugs.
2. some codes will be modified
3. after modification of code [i still didn't stop the debug mode], i
want to test my code.
4. [VS prompt and ask me to restart again to make my changes effective,
that's i need to stop the application and restart it again on VS.

i would like to know if i can do step 4 without restarting while i could
still continue debug my application.
[as it take quite a while to restart]

Steve C. Orr [MVP, MCSD]

There is no edit and continue in Visual Studio.NET 1.x.

For this functionality you'll have to wait for Visual Studio 2005.

Jeffrey Palermo [MCP]

Rena,
Steve is correct that edit and continue will not be available until VS
2005. I can identify with the delay when restarting a web app if you are
pressing F5 to start debugging. To get around this, I keep my browser open
to my web application, and instead of pressing play or F5, I go to the Debug
menu and click Process. . . then I select aspnet_wp with WinXP or w3wp with
Server 2003. This will attach the VS.NET debugger to the ASP.NET process.
Then I go back to my browser, refresh my page, and it takes less time to
execute. I keep the debugger attached, and I can make small changes to my
web app and press Ctrl + Shift + B to rebuild and go back to my browser.
There is a small delay as the application actually does restart, but it
doesn't take as much time as pressing F5 every time.

--
Best regards,
Jeffrey Palermo

Steve C. Orr [MVP, MCSD]

From what I've heard from reliable sources lately is that ASP.NET 2.0 will
partially support edit and continue.
You can break in the middle of a page request and make a code change.
You then must refresh the page (which kinda sucks) but you don't have to
restart the entire web application (which is an improvement.)

--
I hope this helps,
Steve C. Orr, MCSD, MVP

Jeffrey Palermo [MCP]

That's true. This is because of dynamic compiling of the code-behind pages.
No longer will all the code-behind be compiled into a .dll which drops into
the shadow copy directory (which triggers an AppDomain reload), but just one
of the temporary assemblies generated by the compiling of your single code
file that was modified will be replaced, so your page will have to restart,
but your AppDomain won't have to be reloaded (which is what takes several
seconds).