Editor

Gianni

I'm looking for an text editor that can

- handle more than one file at a time, and
- doesn't highlight or fill in coding
for html, css, etc.
- and when opening a file, lists all
files without my
intervention to list all files.

Free, of course.

Raymond Schmit

I'm looking for an text editor that can

- handle more than one file at a time, and
- doesn't highlight or fill in coding
for html, css, etc.
- and when opening a file, lists all
files without my
intervention to list all files.

Free, of course.

I like/use notepad++

http://notepad-plus.sourceforge.net

But i don't understand
and when opening a file, lists all
files without my
intervention to list all files.

:)

Gianni

Thanks for responding.
I will look into each of them.

I use notepad now, but
I am looking for something more.

Tim Streater

dorayme said:
The reason I did not chip in to mention TW is the criterion of "listing
all files without intervention". I was thinking there is a need for a
magical editor to cover this one and the Mac range has not got one of
these. My BBEdit (and TW is same) lists all the user opened files in a
'drawer' to the left or right - indispensable!

Well I didn't know what "listing all files without intervention" meant
anyway.

Adrienne Boswell

I'm looking for an text editor that can

- handle more than one file at a time, and
- doesn't highlight or fill in coding
for html, css, etc.
- and when opening a file, lists all
files without my
intervention to list all files.

Free, of course.

Have a look at HTML-Kit [http://chami.com/html-kit]. It does use syntax
highlighting, but that can be turned off, or you can easily change it to
whatever highlighting you prefer.

The first time you tell it you want *.*, it will do that ever after, but
also has a drop down list of different relavent extensions.

It has plenty of plugins to available for whatever you are authoring, the
ability to save snippets and templates, and it's free.

Chris F.A. Johnson

I'm looking for an text editor that can

- handle more than one file at a time, and
- doesn't highlight or fill in coding
for html, css, etc.
- and when opening a file, lists all
files without my
intervention to list all files.

Free, of course.

GNU Emacs: <ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/>

Jonathan N. Little

Gianni said:
I'm looking for an text editor that can

- handle more than one file at a time, and
- doesn't highlight or fill in coding
for html, css, etc.
- and when opening a file, lists all
files without my
intervention to list all files.

Free, of course.

CrimsonEditor Assuming Windows app. Has syntax that you can turn on or
of. MDI and free.

Gianni

Gianni said:
I'm looking for an text editor that can

- handle more than one file at a time, and
- doesn't highlight or fill in coding
for html, css, etc.
- and when opening a file, lists all
files without my
intervention to list all files.

Free, of course.

Ben C wrote:
-I'm guessing what some really annoying
Windows editors do is -produce a
-file browsing dialogue with anything
that doesn't end in ".txt" -filtered
-out, until you intervene with a "no,
show me all the damn files" -button.

This is exactly what I meant.

I'm not exactly sure if this will get
through. I have been blocked
this morning by nntp.

Thanks for all the responses. They have
been very helpful.

Gianni

Ben said:
OK, well vim and Emacs certainly don't do that. I don't know about the
other suggestions.

What have you got against syntax highlighting?
I'm not against highlighting, but I
sometimes
find it difficult when there are a lot
of colors
in one area and I want to sort things out.

SAZ

I'm not against highlighting, but I
sometimes
find it difficult when there are a lot
of colors
in one area and I want to sort things out.

Many editors let you turn off highlighting or create your own scheme.

Tim Streater

Ben C said:
But that's not ideal because you still want your Javascript or C++
specific indenting, tab stop, comment formatting, etc.

My indenting and tab-stop expansion is the same in all languages.

Tim Streater

Ben C said:
Ben C said:
[...]
Many editors let you turn off highlighting or create your own scheme.

In TextWrangler you just change the type of the file (from, say,
JavaScript or C++ to (None)).

But that's not ideal because you still want your Javascript or C++
specific indenting, tab stop, comment formatting, etc.

My indenting and tab-stop expansion is the same in all languages.

Even make?

I don't use make.

Raymond Schmit

NoteTab. There is a free version. I've been paying for it for years,
though.
Why did you pay for a freeware ? perhaps you got another version of
notepad++ not coming from sourceforge ?

dorayme

Why did you pay for a freeware ?

In many software offerings, there are paying and free versions. The
former have more options.

Paying and suffering a little in the short term can bring greater
rewards in the longer. In fact, there are moral dimensions to this, too
many and deep to go into here among you heathens, in that the use of the
software can breed resentment and appreciation in varying quality and
type depending on the version.

Jan C. Faerber

I'm looking for an text editor that can

- handle more than one file at a time, and
- doesn't highlight or fill in coding
for html, css, etc.
- and when opening a file, lists all
files without my
intervention to list all files.

Free, of course.

Kate is nice aswell - runs on windows under CygWin
or you can install kde for windows or mac.