Editors that use embedded Perl as their macro language?

Dean Hannotte

I have been using Mansfield Software's KEDIT, which was based on IBM's
XEDIT, every day for 25 years. I love it, but the macro language is a
lifeless subset of Rexx. Does anyone know if any serious text editors use
embedded Perl as their macro language? That would be insanely great.

Dean Hannotte
http://www.hannotte.net

NOTE: To annually shake off spammers, my email address has been changed
to 'dh****@nyc.rr.com', where '****' is the current year. For
example, currently it is '(e-mail address removed)'. If you can't reach me
there, you can always go to Dean's Den at http://www.hannotte.net
for the latest contact instructions, or google "Dean Hannotte" and
hope that the world has not completely forgotten about me.

Tad McClellan

[ Setting Followup to email without noting it is underhanded,
consider not doing that in the future. Why hoard answers
rather than share them here with your peers?
]

[snip]

Please use a proper sig-dash in your posts.

There is supposed to be a space character after the hyphens.

currently it is '(e-mail address removed)'.

No it isn't, that is not the address in your From header.

A seven-line .sig is excessive too, consider limiting it to four
lines like everybody else does.

ioneabu

--
How's my sig?
I didn't know there were rules for it.

Tad McClellan

There *is no* sig in your post.

A sig is identified by a sig-dash, and since you don't have one,
there is no sig.

Tad said:
There *is no* sig in your post.

A sig is identified by a sig-dash, and since you don't have one,
there is no sig.

There is supposed to be a space character after the hyphens.

I promise you that I did put the space in when I typed it. I wasn't
trying to be funny by leaving the space out. Possibly Google filtered
it out.

As a test, I will type 5 numbered lines with the leading digit followed
by a number of spaces corresponding to the digit (example: "5 " but
without the quotes).

1
2
3
4
5

If there are no spaces following the above digits, then Google has
removed them. Is this a space saving technique?

wana (no more attempts at a proper sig for now)

Tad McClellan

Possibly Google filtered
it out.

Which is why I have all posts from Google scored down into oblivion.

As a test, I will type 5 numbered lines with the leading digit followed
by a number of spaces corresponding to the digit (example: "5 " but
without the quotes).

1
2
3
4
5

If there are no spaces following the above digits, then Google has
removed them.

Google removed them.

burlo.stumproot

Dean Hannotte said:
I have been using Mansfield Software's KEDIT, which was based on IBM's
XEDIT, every day for 25 years. I love it, but the macro language is a
lifeless subset of Rexx. Does anyone know if any serious text editors use
embedded Perl as their macro language? That would be insanely great.

Dean Hannotte
http://www.hannotte.net

Emacs, kind of...
Read "Customizing Emacs with Perl"