Efficient paging/sorting in asp.net 3.5 - How??

Ilyas

Hi all

I have a table with 1000000+ records. Users will perform a search and
only a subset of this will be displayed

I want to achive the following:

I Do NOT want to fetch all the data as this will be too slow. I want
to fetch only the required number of records, eg if the user is on
page 5, page size is 10, then records 51-60 should be fetched. A count
should also be fetched to indicate that they are x records available

I also want the user to be able to sort the records on all displayed
fields, by clicking the header column. Sorting direction should be
reversed in the header is clicked again

What options do I have? What are the pros and cons of each approach?

Many thanks