EJB3 with hand-coded ORM in JDBC

anondude123

Hi all,
I am writing a Stateless session bean in with an EJB 3.0 container
(using JBoss 4.2 right now, and possibly Glassfish later). This bean
is going to provide reading/writing from the DB supplemented by some
business logic (using hand-written JDBC DAO's for my objects). The
EJB3 annotations for everything non-persistence are great and they
work for me. However, my underlying data model is more like a EAV (key-
value pair-ish) type of stuff which does not at all fit into the
object-relational mapping provided by the EntityManager. So, my
question is this, is it possibly for me to use EJB3 (so I get all the
non-persistence annotations), but hand-code my own persistence. I know
I can just open a JDBC connection myself from the method on the bean,
but I'd still need to have the txns be container managed. Sorta like
pre-EJB3 for persistence, but EJB3 for everything non-persistence.
The problem is that every book/manual/article I've read on EJB 3.0 so
far uses the persistence annotations and they use hibernate (or some
other abstraction layer). I just need to be able do my own with JDBC.
Please please tell me it's possible.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,

Clive

Lew

[...]

Please do not multi-post. I have consolidated the multi-posts that I found so
that respondents can follow an unfragmented thread.