Electronic Signature Within a Word or PDF document

Brian Simmons

Hi all,

This probably isn't the most appropriate group for this question, but I know
there are a bunch of bright and talented individuals in this group who may
have experience in what I'm trying to accomplish.

I've got an ASP.NET 2/C# web application which generates contracts in Word
and PDF format using the components from Aspose (http://www.aspose.com).

Works like a charm, secretary prints the contracts and has the CEO hand sign
them.

Situation: CEO doesn't want to hand sign them any more because of the volume
of contracts. I've suggested a rubber stamp, however, a more high-tech
solution is wanted.

So, what's the process/procedure for putting an electronic signature within
a Word document. NOTE: I do NOT want to digitally sign the document as in a
file transmission to prevent tampering.

Basically at the end of the contract where it says:

[Sign here]
__________________________________
Joe Muckamucka, CEO

Right now, Joe signs his name where it says [Sign here], I want that to be
replaced with some sort of electronic signature.

So, does anyone have any experience with this? Care to point me in the
right direction? Tips? Guidance?

Any help is appreciated,
Thanks,
Brian

Rad [Visual C# MVP]

[...]

Why don't you get a JPEG of the signature and embed that using code in
your word document?

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Brian,

If you do not want to make the entire file be digital signed, maybe you can
consider embed some objects (such as Image as Rad suggested).

However, IMO, embed object into word document is only providing a visual
format of electornic signature, there is no security support here. If you
also want to make the document secured(be integrity) by such a signature,
digital signing is the only approach. Because you need to sign all the
content of the document file and attache a signature digest so as for late
validation.

How do you think?

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng