Embedded Active X or Similar

Neal

Hi All,

I am writing an Asp web app running on Pocket PC that
needs to allow a user at the client end to enter a
Signiture. If this were running in full IE on a PC then I
would probably create an Active X control and embed it in
the web page. Is this possbile on Pocket PC or
alternatively is there a way of starting a Pocket PC app
from within a web page.

Many thanks in advance.

Neal.

Jacob Yang [MSFT]

Hi Neal,

I have reviewed your issue. Due to the nature of your issue we need to do
additional research to determine the best way to provide assistance. We
will contact you as soon as possible.

Best regards,

Jacob Yang
Microsoft Online Partner Support

Cherno Jagne [MS]

Neal,

Sorry I couldn't respond earlier. Pocket PC is able to host an ActiveX
control just like desktop IE. The catch is that the control has to have
been already installed and registered on the device; pIE does not
automatically download the control. The control may also have to implement
IObjectSafety to declare it safe and has to be registered with the
threading model specified as 'free' or 'both'. The SDK documentation
contains steps on how to author ActiveX controls for use by pIE.

There is no direct way of starting an application on the device from the
HTML page. You can embed a link to an application on the server and if the
user clicks on the link, they'll be asked to confirm download and execution
of the application on the device.

Writing an ActiveX control is probably the approach you want to take. You
can provide a link to a cab file containing the ActiveX control setup and
users can download that from pIE, install it, and start using the control.

If you have any follow up questions on this, please post them here and also
include what version(s) of Pocket PC you're targeting.

--

Cherno Jagne
Microsoft Corp.