Embedded resources and extened namespaces

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Building Controls' started by Philipp Seidel, Jul 25, 2003.

  1. Hi there!

    I have a minor problem with embedded resources, which puzzles me quite a
    lot.
    I'd be glad if anyone can help me on this:

    I've added a few files (images) to an assembly as embedded resources.
    Within the project folder these files are in a subfolder named "images".

    Now while trying to access them I expected to get them this way:
    RootNameSpace.NameOfSubfolder.FileName
    i.e.:
    NameSpaceOfMyProject.Images.MyImage.jpg

    This is how it is explained in here:
    Understanding Embedded Resources in Visual Studio .NET
    http://www.codeproject.com/dotnet/embeddedresources.asp

    But what I experience under VB.NET, ist that it is not possible to organize
    embedded resources this way - meaning: the name space won't extend by the
    name of the subfolder.

    It's just this way:
    RootNameSpace.FileName
    i.e.:
    NameSpaceOfMyProject.MyImage.jpg

    This behavoir fits more to what is discribed this article:
    How to Embed Resource Files in .NET Assemblies (cont'd)
    http://www.devx.com/dotnet/Article/10831/0/page/2

    Ok, so far you'd might think, that one of the authors is wrong.
    But the answer is: No, they both seem to be right!

    I have downloaded and tried a C#-example from Eric Woodroff:
    A Resource Server Handler Class For Custom Controls
    http://www.codeproject.com/useritems/ressrvpage.asp?target=embedded|resour
    ce

    As you can see there, the namespace extends, as expected first.

    This drives me nuts!!!
    *bangingheadotowall*
    ;-)

    Is there a difference how VB.NET and C# handle embedded Resources?
    Did I forget to configuere something?
    Did I misunderstand something?

    Please help me - otherwise I can't take off for the weekend! ;-)

    Thanx!

    Philipp Seidel

    Philipp Seidel, Jul 25, 2003