Embedded Vs Java

Arun

I have a query.I am a freah engineering graduate and have 2 job
offers.One is with LG Electronics Korea where I 'll be working in
korea as a software Engineer in Embedded systems exclusively at their
research labs .And second job is witha large software firm by the name
of TCS who has a global presence and where probably I'll be exposed to
technologies like Java /VB etc.I m in a deleima reagarding which one
to take up.Since all of u guys have industry experience ..kindly
suggest me something. Money is no issues for me right now rather I'mm
looking for good oppurtunities after 3 yrs and set my career path
right.

Thanx

Joona I Palaste

Arun said:
I have a query.I am a freah engineering graduate and have 2 job
offers.One is with LG Electronics Korea where I 'll be working in
korea as a software Engineer in Embedded systems exclusively at their
research labs .And second job is witha large software firm by the name
of TCS who has a global presence and where probably I'll be exposed to
technologies like Java /VB etc.I m in a deleima reagarding which one
to take up.Since all of u guys have industry experience ..kindly
suggest me something. Money is no issues for me right now rather I'mm
looking for good oppurtunities after 3 yrs and set my career path
right.

What was your C question?

--
/-- Joona Palaste ([email protected]) ---------------------------\
"It was, er, quite bookish."

Jalapeno

I have a query.I am a freah engineering graduate and have 2 job
offers.One is with LG Electronics Korea where I 'll be working in
korea as a software Engineer in Embedded systems exclusively at their
research labs .And second job is witha large software firm by the name
of TCS who has a global presence and where probably I'll be exposed to
technologies like Java /VB etc.I m in a deleima reagarding which one
to take up.Since all of u guys have industry experience ..kindly
suggest me something. Money is no issues for me right now rather I'mm
looking for good oppurtunities after 3 yrs and set my career path
right.

Thanx

Take neither as both lead to dead end careers. The future is in fried
chicken served quickly. Your path to happiness starts here:

http://www.kfc.com/careers/

Valentin Tihomirov

Java vs. VB? You must know both. Java is a language of the future with very
good OOP practices. MS's movement towards it (C# and J# implementations)
just prove it.VB is a please of Bill Gates, a lanuage suitable only for
Windows administration purposes.

Joona I Palaste

Valentin Tihomirov said:
Java vs. VB? You must know both. Java is a language of the future with very
good OOP practices. MS's movement towards it (C# and J# implementations)
just prove it.VB is a please of Bill Gates, a lanuage suitable only for
Windows administration purposes.

Who says one MUST know both? I've not written a single line of VB code
in my entire three-year-long programming career, and I don't think I'll
need to in the near future.

--
/-- Joona Palaste ([email protected]) ---------------------------\
"That's no raisin - it's an ALIEN!"

Chris Ling

I had such a dilemma 3 years ago! So what is your C question anyway?
(BTW, use a spell checker if you have time)

Dan Pop

In said:
Who says one MUST know both? I've not written a single line of VB code
in my entire three-year-long programming career, and I don't think I'll
need to in the near future.

In the context of this thread, the OP actually does:

And second job is witha large software firm by the name of TCS who has
a global presence and where probably I'll be exposed to technologies
like Java /VB etc.

If I were in OP's position, I'd take the embedded software job without
a second thought: it's a lot more fun than having to deal with
"technologies" like Java and VB.

Dan

Joona I Palaste

In the context of this thread, the OP actually does:
And second job is witha large software firm by the name of TCS who has
a global presence and where probably I'll be exposed to technologies
like Java /VB etc.
If I were in OP's position, I'd take the embedded software job without
a second thought: it's a lot more fun than having to deal with
"technologies" like Java and VB.

So you say, but I've had a Java programming career for three years (no
VB, luckily) and you wouldn't get me to touch embedded systems if you
tried.

Sheldon Simms

So you say, but I've had a Java programming career for three years (no
VB, luckily) and you wouldn't get me to touch embedded systems if you
tried.

Lets consider what's important here. The embedded job is in
Korea. That's reason enough to take it.

Dan Pop

In said:
So you say, but I've had a Java programming career for three years (no
VB, luckily) and you wouldn't get me to touch embedded systems if you
tried.

I prefixed my advice by "If I were in OP's position", so that it
should have been perfectly clear that it is a purely personal opinion.

I'm fully aware that embedded systems programming is not for everyone ;-)

Dan

Joona I Palaste

I prefixed my advice by "If I were in OP's position", so that it
should have been perfectly clear that it is a purely personal opinion.
I'm fully aware that embedded systems programming is not for everyone ;-)

You're right. No further arguments from me in this debate.

Christopher Benson-Manica

Joona I Palaste said:
Who says one MUST know both? I've not written a single line of VB code
in my entire three-year-long programming career, and I don't think I'll
need to in the near future.

Wait, three years?? If you'll pardon my praise, you seem a lot more
experienced than someone who's been programming for three years... heck, if I
know as much as you do in 3 years, I'll be happy :)

Mark McIntyre

Wait, three years?? If you'll pardon my praise, you seem a lot more
experienced than someone who's been programming for three years... heck, if I
know as much as you do in 3 years, I'll be happy :)

Yeah, but most of that was spent writing a database app and GUI
frontend to store his catalogue of legoland models and transformers,
entirely in ISO C... :)

Joe Wright

Christopher said:
Wait, three years?? If you'll pardon my praise, you seem a lot more
experienced than someone who's been programming for three years... heck, if I
know as much as you do in 3 years, I'll be happy :)
No, you have to catch up. Three years from now you have to know as much
as Joona does three years from now. :) It is a challenge indeed, but
we'll all help you. Even Joona will.

Joona I Palaste

Wait, three years?? If you'll pardon my praise, you seem a lot more
experienced than someone who's been programming for three years... heck, if I
know as much as you do in 3 years, I'll be happy :)

Three years of programming for money. I've been *programming* for
longer, mostly for University exercises.

Arun

Joona I Palaste said:
You're right. No further arguments from me in this debate.

does it mean that one can find Java programmers much easily in the
market than an Embedded Programmers ?

But I also beleive that there's lot job oppurtunities with Java and
better pay scales too...That's what i get when i checked out various
Job Sites ?

Joona I Palaste

does it mean that one can find Java programmers much easily in the
market than an Embedded Programmers ?

No. Neither does it mean the opposite. I am far too small a sample to
be of statistical importance.