EOF problem with ENTER

Prasoon

I am new to python....
I have written the following program in python.It is the solution of
problem ETF in SPOJ.....

#Euler Totient Function

from math import sqrt
def etf(n):
i,res =2,n
while(i*i<=n):
if(n%i==0):
res-=res/i
while(n%i==0):
n/=i
i+=1
if(n>1):
res-=res/n
return res

def main():
t=input()
while(t):
x=input()
print str(etf(x))
t-=1

if __name__ == "__main__":
main()

The problem with my code is that whenever I press an extra "Enter"
button instead of getting the cursor moved to the next line.....I get
an error

_SyntaxError- EOF while parsing and the program terminates.........._

How should the code be modified so that even after pressing an extra
"Enter" button the cursor get moved to the next line instead to
throwing an exception......

Prasoon

Chris Rebert

[...]

Use raw_input() instead of input() [at least until you switch to Python 3.x].
input() does an implicit eval() of the keyboard input, which is (in
part) causing your problem.
Note that you'll need to explicitly convert the string raw_input()
reads in using either int() or float() as appropriate.

Still, you can't just enter extra lines and expect the program to
automatically ignore them. You'll have to write the extra code
yourself to handle empty input from the user.

Cheers,
Chris

[...]

--http://blog.rebertia.com

I am using Python 2.6
I have modified that code
def main():
t=int(raw_input())
while(t):
x=input()
print str(etf(x))
t-=1

what should i do to handle new line and space......
We used to get spaces and newline in C using their ASCII values ...can
similar things be done here???

Please write the code snippet(by modifying my code) from which i can
understand something......!!!!!

[...]

x=int(raw_input())
print str(etf(x))
t-=1

what should i do to handle new line and space......
We used to get spaces and newline in C using their ASCII values ...can
similar things be done here???

Please write the code snippet(by modifying my code) from which i can
understand something......!!!!!

Francesco Bochicchio

[...]

- Mostra testo citato -

You could do:

while True:
x = raw_input("Enter x=>")
if x != "" : break # if you just press enter, raw_input returns an
empty string

Note that this still leaves out the case when you type something which
is not a number.
To cover this case, supposing that you need a float, you could do like
this (NOT TESTED):

while True:
x_str = raw_input("Enter x=>")
if x_str != "" : # to prevent having the error message on empty
imput
try:
x = float(x_str)
break # if it gets here the conversion in float was succesful
except ValueError :
print "The input '%s' cannot be converted in float" % x_str

This code exits from the loop only when you supply a string that
represents a floating number

Ciao

Prasoon

[...]

I modified my code to

#Euler Totient Function
import sys
from math import sqrt
def etf(n):
i,res =2,n
while(i*i<=n):
if(n%i==0):
res-=res/i
while(n%i==0):
n/=i
i+=1
if(n>1):
res-=res/n
return res

def main():
while True:
t=raw_input()
if t!="":break
t=int(t)
while(t):
while True:
x=raw_input()
if x!="":break
x=int(x)
print str(etf(x))
t-=1

if __name__ == "__main__":
main()

Now it is working fine ....thanks!!!

Jean-Michel Pichavant

Prasoon said:
[...]

Hello Prasoon, there's still a major issue with your code, check out
http://tottinge.blogsome.com/meaningfulnames/
If your code is a private script targeted at your personal use, well I
guess you can just ignore my comment. But I'm still impressed by how
some of the python-list users have dived into your code with such ease.

Regards,

Jean-Michel