Error decoded 8 bit characters.

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by T Conti, Apr 5, 2004.

  1. T Conti

    T Conti Guest

    Hello:

    We ran into an issue with the decoding 8 bit characters. We have an
    asp page that makes a call to an ashx page. When the HTTPHandler
    accesses the query string we find that the 8 bit characters are
    stripped. The source asp page is encoding using ISO-Western European
    (windows-1252) single byte encoding. I am assuming that the .Net
    framework uses the Unicode (UTF8) as the basis for decoding the URL.
    Now we managed to get this to work by explicitly requesting that the
    HTTPHandler use Windows-1252 for encoding/decoding:

    <globalization
    requestEncoding="Windows-1252"
    responseEncoding="Windows-1252"/>

    This works when the URL is passed using a single byte encoding but it
    breaks when multi-byte encoding on the URL is used by the source page.
    SO the solution is not extensible. This brings up a few questions:

    1) Is there a way to programatically indicate the responseEncoding
    using an aspx page.
    2) Has anyone had luck with a more flexible approach to handling the
    encoding/decoding of characters w/o have in to hard code the encoding
    in the web.config.

    Please let me know,
    Thanks

    T Conti, Apr 5, 2004

  2. T Conti

    Joerg Jooss Guest

    Yes. You can set the property HttpResponse.ContentEncoding.
    On general: if your clients are properly communicating the appropriate
    encoding, you can retrieve that value from the HTTP request and apply it. If
    they don't, you're out of luck.

    Cheers,

    Joerg Jooss, Apr 11, 2004