error: package jxl does not exist

shaun.wiseman91

Hi all,

I have started a new project in eclipse which needs to interact with excell. I have added the jar using eclipse and it is present in the .classpath file but I am still getting this error:

[ERROR] Failed to execute goal org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-compiler-plugin:2.
3.2:testCompile (default-testCompile) on project JasperTest: Compilation failure
: Compilation failure:
[ERROR] \Documents and Settings\SWise\Desktop\JasperTest\src\test\jav
a\JasperTest\JasperTest\excellReader.java:[3,0] error: package jxl does not exis
[ERROR] \Documents and Settings\SWise\Desktop\JasperTest\src\test\jav
a\JasperTest\JasperTest\excellReader.java:[6,20] error: package jxl.read.biff do
es not exist

Any help at all would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Shaun

Lew

Shaun said:
I have started a new project in eclipse which needs to interact with excell [sic].
I have added the jar [sic] using eclipse [sic] and it is present in the .classpath file but

What JAR is that?
I am still getting this error:

[ERROR] Failed to execute goal org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-compiler-plugin:2.
3.2:testCompile (default-testCompile) on project JasperTest: Compilation failure
: Compilation failure:
[ERROR] \Documents and Settings\SWise\Desktop\JasperTest\src\test\java\JasperTest\JasperTest\excellReader.java:[3,0]
error: package jxl does not exist

[ERROR] \Documents and Settings\SWise\Desktop\JasperTest\src\test\java\JasperTest\JasperTest\excellReader.java:[6,20]
error: package jxl.read.biff does not exist

Any help at all would be appreciated.

Does Maven use the .classpath file?

How does Maven resolve classpaths?

Apparently the JExcelApi JAR is not actually in your classpath.

Your own package would be spelled with all lower-case letters if you followed the usual convention.

Shaun Wiseman

Hi Lew,

Yes the maven projects use's .classpth file. How does it interact with it I have no idea.

The path to the JAR is present in the .classpath file : "<classpathentry kind="lib" path="C:/jexcelapi/jxl.jar"/>" I have changed its location following this post.

I really have no idea how to fix this

Lew

Shaun said:
Yes the maven projects use's .classpth file. How does it interact with it I have no idea.

AIUI from experience and
http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-eclipse-plugin/eclipse-mojo.html
Maven might generate a .classpath for Eclipse to use, but I don't know of any standard
setup where Maven reads .classpath for its data. Perhaps your project does something
idiosyncratic there. It would be worth curing your lack of idea.
The path to the JAR is present in the .classpath file : "<classpathentry kind="lib" path="C:/jexcelapi/jxl.jar"/>" I have changed its location following this post.

In the .classpath file or on the file system?

From what to what?
I really have no idea how to fix this

What happens if you do the build by command line, without using Maven or Eclipse?

Arne Vajhøj

Yes the maven projects use's .classpth file. How does it interact with it I have no idea.

The path to the JAR is present in the .classpath file : "<classpathentry kind="lib" path="C:/jexcelapi/jxl.jar"/>" I have changed its location following this post.

I really have no idea how to fix this

Listen better to what Lew says may help.

Arne

Shaun Wiseman

Thanks Lew!

I get what you mean now. I haven't even graduated yet from college so my knowledge is limited, Apologies for that, but you were a great help!

I will run it in command line and see what happens.

Thanks again.
Shaun

Arne, I suggest if you don't have input that's helpful don't post on threads! It was a waste of my time! I appreciate any help I get and I do listen to what he is saying, but I am trying to understand it.

Lew

Shaun said:
Arne, I suggest if you don't have input that's helpful don't post on threads!

Get used to disappointment.
It was a waste of my time!
Awww.

I appreciate any help I get and I do listen to what he is saying,

Then develop a thicker skin. Arne was helping. Thank him.
but I am trying to understand it.

It would help if you would not scold those who help you.

Arne Vajhøj

I get what you mean now. I haven't even graduated yet from college so
my knowledge is limited, Apologies for that, but you were a great
help!
Arne, I suggest if you don't have input that's helpful don't post on
threads! It was a waste of my time! I appreciate any help I get and I
do listen to what he is saying, but I am trying to understand it.

Let me see:
- you post a question
- Lew post an explanation
- you some something that shows you did not understand Lew's answer
- I post that you should listen to Lew
- You post that now you understand Lew's post and you complain
that I told you to listen to Lew
?

Hmmm.....

Arne

Arne Vajhøj

Arne wrote:

"Listen better to what Lew says may help"

Lew wrote:

"Arne was helping. Thank him"

Is this what is known as a circular reference ?

Actually not as I was referring to something else
Lew wrote.

Arne

?

A very good day to you, Shaun... an' would that then be
St. Marys or Mary Immaculate now?
Let me see:
- you post a question
- Lew post an explanation
- you some something that shows you did not understand Lew's answer
- I post that you should listen to Lew
- You post that now you understand Lew's post and you complain
that I told you to listen to Lew
?

Hmmm.....

Arne

Oh tis the Fizmorayen out playing with the Fitzmoran
I fear, the lil' men at work :)
Confusing to the clan(s) collective textual eye is all
this york'd out syntax castle building, like.
Tho' to be sure them Fizmorayen be a grand bunch for
crack when resting in their cups.
http://finnegans.org/
If ye can spare a farthing or two..? a gold coin
of your relam perhaps. ho ho

le Pipe

Shaun Wiseman

Sup,

Who knew behind Arne's computer screen would be a pedantic troll. How unfortunate that is all the world needs, another common troll. :/

Its funny you act like you knew everything coming out of the womb;whoever that unfortunate person was.

Your Irish references are a little outdated also friend.

Lars Enderin

2013-01-23 18:29, lipska the kat skrev:
oh oh, now you've done it.

Done what? I don't think Arne should be overly concerned with criticism
from Shaun (not so) Wiseman, who cannot even make an explicit reference
to the post/poster he seems to refer to. Even a Google Groups user
should know how to keep a thread consistent. Instead, he comments on his
own original post.

John B. Matthews

[Edited]
Yea, struggling with the language again are we Lars?

"oh oh, now you've done it."

Infers (sic) that it won't be long before all Arne's cronies
speak up in his defense.

A quoted sentence cannot "infer" anything; perhaps you meant
"implies."

Lars Enderin

2013-01-23 19:19, lipska the kat skrev:
Yea, struggling with the language again are we Lars ?

You're so full of yourself. I don't "struggle" with English. Where did I
do that?
"oh oh, now you've done it"

I was aware of the *implication*. I just questioned why you made the
remark, except to show your dislike of Arne (and Lew).
Infers that it won't be long before all Arnes cronies speak up in his
defense... and here we are. I have to admit, I was expecting that wanker
Bloch to pipe up first but the yanquies ain't up yet are they.

Arne and Lew may be abrasive occasionally, but they have valid points.
so, Lars you win todays 'jump on the newbie' prize

I did not jump on the newbie. I just found his attack on Arne to be
unwarranted, as was your comment.
I bet your mum is proud.

Cheap, totally unwarranted shot. You have no idea.
While I'm here, and as you seem to speak for the great oracle, why is it
that your pal Arne seems to feel the need to pontificate on EVERY
question in this Usenet newsgroup ?

Struggling with ortography, are you? There should be no space before a
question mark. Who made you moderator of this group?

Arne Vajhøj

Who knew behind Arne's computer screen would be a pedantic troll.

????

Why is it trolling to give you the advice that per yourself
helped you solve your problem?
Its funny you act like you knew everything coming out of the womb

????

Why do you see a recommendation to read good advice again until
you understand it to be an indication of that?
Your Irish references are a little outdated also friend.

????

I don't think I made any Irish references.

Arne

Arne Vajhøj

Lars said:
lipska the kat skrev:
... [trolling] ...
Struggling with ortography, are you? There should be no space before a
question mark. Who made you moderator of this group?

Please do not feed the trolls, Lars.

Listen Bloch you sub-moron. I'm not the troll

I'm just giving you and you little group of self congratulatory pals
a taste of your own medicine and you don't like it do you. Your sort
never does.

You have by far the lowest s/n ratio.

And Lew is as most people here used to weird people posting here
with an agenda, so if you think he is much affected by your posts, then
I suspect that you are completely wrong. You are just the latest in
a very long line.

Arne