Error: The transport failed to connect to the server

Nathan Sokalski

I am attempting to send an email using ASP.NET 1.1's Mail.SmtpMail.Send()
method. My code contains all of the following:

Dim mailmsg As New Mail.MailMessage
Mail.SmtpMail.SmtpServer =
System.Configuration.ConfigurationSettings.AppSettings("smtpserver")
mailmsg.BodyFormat = Mail.MailFormat.Text

mailmsg.Subject = "My Subject"
mailmsg.Body = "My Body"
mailmsg.To = "(e-mail address removed);"
mailmsg.From = "My From Address"

Mail.SmtpMail.Send(mailmsg)

When I test the application, I recieve the following error:

Server Error in '/' Application.

The transport failed to connect to the server.

Exception Details: System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException: The
transport failed to connect to the server.

Source Error:

Stack Trace:

[COMException (0x80040213): The transport failed to connect to the server.
]

[TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an
invocation.]
System.RuntimeType.InvokeDispMethod(String name, BindingFlags invokeAttr,
Object target, Object[] args, Boolean[] byrefModifiers, Int32 culture,
String[] namedParameters) +0
System.RuntimeType.InvokeMember(String name, BindingFlags invokeAttr,
Binder binder, Object target, Object[] args, ParameterModifier[] modifiers,
CultureInfo culture, String[] namedParameters) +473
System.Web.Mail.LateBoundAccessHelper.CallMethod(Object obj, String
methodName, Object[] args) +58

[HttpException (0x80004005): Could not access 'CDO.Message' object.]
System.Web.Mail.LateBoundAccessHelper.CallMethod(Object obj, String
methodName, Object[] args) +113
System.Web.Mail.CdoSysHelper.Send(MailMessage message) +1846
System.Web.Mail.SmtpMail.Send(MailMessage message) +150
AFBE.addathlete.SendEmailNotification(String id)
AFBE.addathlete.btnSubmit_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
eventArgument) +57
sourceControl, String eventArgument) +18

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:1.1.4322.2032; ASP.NET
Version:1.1.4322.2032

What am I forgetting here? Or is my webhost simply down right now? Thanks.

Ricky Yau

one of the possible reason is your smtp server requires a login, contact
your system administrator about that. in .Net framework 1.1, you can use the
fields from the Mail object to add the attribute to pass the login
(username, password, smtpserver, smtpserver port number). Let me know if you
need the codes.

--ricky

Nathan Sokalski said:
[...]

Juan T. Llibre

I concur.

The mail page/app is not able to connect to the smtp server.

Nathan should look into naming or availability issues.

I once got that message when I used "localhost" as my smtp server name.

When I created an smtp server virtual instance named for my machine's name,
everything worked, although I still had mail rejection problems ( mail servers don't
like receiving mail from single-name machines, instead of from properly-named mail servers ).

They went away when I used my domain name, instead of my machine name,
after creating an smtp virtual server named for my domain.

I removed the following two newsgroups from the address list :

microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.adonet
and
microsoft.public.dotnet.languages.vb

The problem is not related to a database nor to the VB language.

Nathan said:
I am attempting to send an email using ASP.NET 1.1's Mail.SmtpMail.Send() method. My code
contains all of the following:

Dim mailmsg As New Mail.MailMessage
Mail.SmtpMail.SmtpServer = System.Configuration.ConfigurationSettings.AppSettings("smtpserver")
mailmsg.BodyFormat = Mail.MailFormat.Text

mailmsg.Subject = "My Subject"
mailmsg.Body = "My Body"
mailmsg.To = "(e-mail address removed);"
mailmsg.From = "My From Address"

Mail.SmtpMail.Send(mailmsg)

When I test the application, I recieve the following error:

Server Error in '/' Application.

The transport failed to connect to the server.
Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the
code.

Exception Details: System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException: The transport failed to connect
to the server.

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request.
Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the
exception stack trace below.

]

[...]

System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(IPostBackEventHandler sourceControl, String
eventArgument) +18

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:1.1.4322.2032; ASP.NET
Version:1.1.4322.2032

What am I forgetting here? Or is my webhost simply down right now? Thanks.

Nathan Sokalski

Yes, I think I do need them. Thanks.
--
Nathan Sokalski
(e-mail address removed)

Nathan Sokalski said:
[...]

Ricky Yau

here you go:

objEmail.Fields.Add("http://schemas.microsoft.com/cdo/configuration/smtpserver",
yourSMTPServer);
objEmail.Fields.Add("http://schemas.microsoft.com/cdo/configuration/smtpserverport",
25); //maybe a different port, 25 is the default
objEmail.Fields.Add("http://schemas.microsoft.com/cdo/configuration/sendusing",
2);
objEmail.Fields.Add("http://schemas.microsoft.com/cdo/configuration/smtpauthenticate",
1);