error trapping

Guest

On my web app, I have a custom error page which the user sees, I then email
the actaul error to myself since the site is up 24/7. I added the email
portion to my app but now I can't see the user friendly error page. How can i
still show the user friendly error page and email myself the erorr when my
page or sites 'breaks'

Guest

I got this to work, web.config setting.
BUT

when I get the error page and click on a menu option it takes me back to the
login screen. So how can I prevent users to having to log back into the site
if they get an error?

Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\)

Make sure you have the proper role settings (siteMap) and security settings
(web.config files at different levels) for each page you do not want a
person to have to relog in on.

Without seeing more of the app, this is about as far as I can go, although I
should have a blog entry on menus soon.

Guest

what do you mean "role settings (sitemap)?
I'm not using a "sitemap" control or sitemap datasource. I'm using the
treeview menu with static nodes. As for my security I'm not using the asp.net
membership or anything like that. Im' using the forms auth code from my .net
3 app due to i needed to use my existing user tables and couldnt find out how
to use the .NET 2.0 user db until after the fact

Walter Wang [MSFT]

Hi,

I think what Gregory suggested is the role settings in web.config as
described here: http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/5k850zwb.aspx; you
can protect different location with different roles. If current user visits
a web page which current user role doesn't have been granted, he/she will
be redirected to the login page to re-login with another user/role that can
access the page.

After the user logined, a cookie will be issued to the client browser to
track it; if in any case that the cookie gets cleared, it will also be
redirected to the login page.

Again, these possibilities are really wild guess without actual code. Is it
possible to create a reproducible project and send it to me? Thus I can
help you find the root cause of this issue. Thank you.

Sincerely,
Microsoft Online Community Support

promptly.

Walter Wang [MSFT]

Hi,

I am interested in this issue. Would you mind letting me know the result of
the suggestions? If you need further assistance, feel free to let me know.
I will be more than happy to be of assistance.

Have a great day!

Regards,
Microsoft Online Community Support