Error when consuming a web service

Nab

Using a Windows client to consume a web service throws this error:

System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapException: Server was unable to process
request. ---> System.NullReferenceException.....etc

I'm using Visual Studio 2008 and my VB code for the WS (which is connected
to a SQL Server 2005 Express) is:

<WebMethod()> _
Public Sub GetFee(ByVal brokerName As String, ByRef brokerFee As Single)

Dim strSQL As String
strSQL = "SELECT @Fee = dbo_OnlineBrokers.TransactionFee FROM
dbo_OnlineBrokers WHERE dbo_OnlineBrokers.Name = @BName"
Dim cmd As New SqlCommand(strSQL, sqlConn)
cmd.Parameters.Add("@BName", SqlDbType.VarChar, 50)
cmd.Parameters("@BName").Direction = ParameterDirection.Input
cmd.Parameters("@BName").Value = brokerName
cmd.Parameters.Add("@Fee", SqlDbType.Real)
cmd.Parameters("@Fee").Direction = ParameterDirection.Output
If cmd.Connection.State <> ConnectionState.Open Then
cmd.Connection.Open()
End If
cmd.ExecuteNonQuery()
brokerFee = cmd.Parameters("@Fee").Value
cmd.Connection.Close()

Any hint as to how to resolve this issue? Is this a permission issue? If so,
how can I resolve it? Thanks for any suggestions.

John Saunders

Did you look up any of these exceptions in the MSDN Library to see what they
mean? Do that, then get back to us here.

Nab

I have fixed this problem. Sending an empty output paramter (argument) to a
called procedure generated that error. The problem was fixed when I turned
the procedure into a fucntion that receives just one argument. This problem
thought did not arise when I used VB2005!! I don't know why.