Error when try to install ncurses gem on windows

Priyank Shah

I got following error when i try to install ncurses on windows.

C:\>gem install ncurses
ERROR: Error installing ncurses:

D:/ruby/bin/ruby.exe extconf.rb
checking for unistd.h... no
checking for ncurses.h... no
checking for ncurses/curses.h... no
checking for curses.h... no
*** extconf.rb failed ***
necessary libraries and/or headers. Check the mkmf.log file for more
details. You may need configuration options.

Provided configuration options:
--with-opt-dir
--without-opt-dir
--with-opt-include
--without-opt-include=${opt-dir}/include
--with-opt-lib
--without-opt-lib=${opt-dir}/lib
--with-make-prog
--srcdir=.
--curdir
--ruby=D:/ruby/bin/ruby
extconf.rb:35: ncurses header file not found (RuntimeError)

Gem files will remain installed in
D:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/ncurses-0.9.1
for inspection.
Results logged to
D:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/ncurses-0.9.1/gem_make.out

please give me solution if any one of you know that

Thanks,
PShah

Roger Pack

please give me solution if any one of you know that

install the ncurses library into your devkit or ping the authors and ask
them to release binary gem releases.
-r

Nikita Kuznetsov

I'm stuck on this also... could you please elaborate
"install the ncurses library into your devkit"
If by this you mean copy the ncurses files from the berlios website to
the devkit folder, then thats done and that fails.

Please help! Any insight would be helpfull, im a little lost right now
and i would love to write a tetris close using ruby

Priyank Shah

Nikita Kuznetsov wrote in post #966470:
I'm stuck on this also... could you please elaborate
"install the ncurses library into your devkit"
If by this you mean copy the ncurses files from the berlios website to
the devkit folder, then thats done and that fails.

Please help! Any insight would be helpfull, im a little lost right now
and i would love to write a tetris close using ruby

Hi Nikita,

sorry but I could not find exact solution for this but i tried
"pdcurses" instead of "ncurses", but both are not same but doing most of
same things. just go to following link for find some difference between
them.

http://cymonsgames.com/forum/index.php?topic=48.0

Thanks,
Priyank Shah