Error while installing Python2.5.1

Discussion in 'Python' started by zaperaj, Jun 21, 2007.

  1. zaperaj

    zaperaj Guest

    I use red hat 9 which comes with python2.2 installed in it. Wanting to
    use the latest version, i downloaded python 2.5.1 from the official
    python website. After downloading, i performed the following steps,
    but there is some error during the configuration process and hence i'm
    not able to run the "make" command after this. Following is the
    sequence of events that happened in my terminal:

    [[email protected] root]# tar xfz Python-2.5.1.tgz
    [[email protected] root]# cd Python-2.5.1
    [[email protected] Python-2.5.1]# ./configure
    checking MACHDEP... linux2
    checking EXTRAPLATDIR...
    checking for --without-gcc... no
    checking for gcc... no
    checking for cc... no
    checking for cc... no
    checking for cl... no
    configure: error: no acceptable C compiler found in $PATH
    See `config.log' for more details.
    [[email protected] Python-2.5.1]# make
    make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found. Stop.

    If anybody can help... Thanx!

    zaperaj, Jun 21, 2007

  2. zaperaj

    Pavel Guest

    It appears you have no C compiler installed. You should be able to get one
    of those from your distribution's repositories. If you can't, upgrade to
    something debian-based.
    /pavel

    Pavel, Jun 21, 2007

  3. zaperaj

    zaperaj Guest

    I dont understand.... What are my distribution repositories?

    zaperaj, Jun 22, 2007
  4. zaperaj

    zaperaj, Jun 22, 2007
  5. zaperaj

    Evan Klitzke Guest

    AFAIK there aren't any repositories for Red Hat 9. But there should be
    a gcc rpm on your installation media.

    Evan Klitzke, Jun 22, 2007
  6. zaperaj

    zaperaj Guest

    So how do i overcome this problem?? How do i access my distribution
    repositories(if any) or installation media?

    zaperaj, Jun 22, 2007
  7. So how do i overcome this problem?? How do i access my distribution
    You need to move to your living room. In the closet on the right side,
    in the second drawer from the top, you are keeping the keeping the
    Redhat DVDs. Open the drawer, pick the DVD cover, open it, and
    remove the DVD. Push the "open" button on your DVD drive, put the
    DVD into the tray, and put the "open" button again. When done,
    ask for further instructions.

    Regards,
    Martin

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?=22Martin_v=2E_L=F6wis=22?=, Jun 22, 2007
  8. zaperaj

    zaperaj Guest

    In the Red Hat installation cd, i saw that there are four rpms for
    gcc. Now what do i need to do?

    zaperaj, Jun 23, 2007