Error while installing Python2.5.1

zaperaj

I use red hat 9 which comes with python2.2 installed in it. Wanting to
use the latest version, i downloaded python 2.5.1 from the official
python website. After downloading, i performed the following steps,
but there is some error during the configuration process and hence i'm
not able to run the "make" command after this. Following is the
sequence of events that happened in my terminal:

[root@localhost root]# tar xfz Python-2.5.1.tgz
[root@localhost root]# cd Python-2.5.1
[root@localhost Python-2.5.1]# ./configure
checking MACHDEP... linux2
checking EXTRAPLATDIR...
checking for --without-gcc... no
checking for gcc... no
checking for cc... no
checking for cc... no
checking for cl... no
configure: error: no acceptable C compiler found in $PATH
See `config.log' for more details.
[root@localhost Python-2.5.1]# make
make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found. Stop.

If anybody can help... Thanx!

Pavel

checking for --without-gcc... no
checking for gcc... no
checking for cc... no
checking for cc... no
checking for cl... no
configure: error: no acceptable C compiler found in $PATH
See `config.log' for more details.

It appears you have no C compiler installed. You should be able to get one
of those from your distribution's repositories. If you can't, upgrade to
something debian-based.
/pavel

Evan Klitzke

I dont understand.... What are my distribution repositories?

AFAIK there aren't any repositories for Red Hat 9. But there should be
a gcc rpm on your installation media.

zaperaj

So how do i overcome this problem?? How do i access my distribution
repositories(if any) or installation media?

?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?=22Martin_v=2E_L=F6wis=22?=

So how do i overcome this problem?? How do i access my distribution
repositories(if any) or installation media?

You need to move to your living room. In the closet on the right side,
in the second drawer from the top, you are keeping the keeping the
Redhat DVDs. Open the drawer, pick the DVD cover, open it, and
remove the DVD. Push the "open" button on your DVD drive, put the
DVD into the tray, and put the "open" button again. When done,
ask for further instructions.

Regards,
Martin

zaperaj

In the Red Hat installation cd, i saw that there are four rpms for
gcc. Now what do i need to do?