Escape Characters for Songs?

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Nehmo, Oct 3, 2011.

  1. Nehmo

    Nehmo Guest

    Nehmo, Oct 3, 2011

  2. In a vain attempt to prevent copying the lyrics...

    "I need another story
    Something to get off my chest
    My life gets kinda boring
    Need something that I can confess

    'Til all my sleeves are stained red
    From all the truth that I've said
    Come by it honestly I swear
    Thought you saw me wink, no
    I've been on the brink, so..."

    Jonathan N. Little, Oct 3, 2011

  3. Hard to tell. Probably there is no purpose. Probably the text has just
    been processed by a program that converts everything to character
    references. It could be a precautions against incidential non-ISO-8859-1
    characters in data - a precaution taken too far, and too sloppily (the
    references do not end with a semicolon, which implies that the data
    won't work as such in XML context).

    Jukka K. Korpela, Oct 3, 2011
  4. I think I am on the correct track. There is JavaScript disabling the
    right-click so encoding the lyrics would obfuscate the lyrics in the
    source when someone tried viewing source to get a round the right-click
    handler.

    Jonathan N. Little, Oct 3, 2011
  5. Copy-protection might indeed be the explanation.
    So do you mean that you have to ***gasp*** disable JavaScript to
    override this ingenious high-tech copy protection system?

    (There's some irony in the attempt to prevent copying on a site that has
    probably copied its own content mostly illegally.)

    Jukka K. Korpela, Oct 3, 2011
  6. Yes sad isn't it?
    That too!

    Jonathan N. Little, Oct 3, 2011
  7. Nehmo

    Ray_Net Guest

    I just rigth-click on the text, choice "This frame" then "View Frame
    source" using SeaMonkey browser (a firefox flavor) and i got :

    id="lyrics">I need another story<br>
    Something to get off my chest<br>
    My life gets kinda boring<br>
    Need something that I can confess<br>
    'Til all my sleeves are stained red<br>
    From all the truth that I've said<br>
    Come by it honestly I swear<br>
    Thought you saw me wink, no<br>

    I've been on the brink, so<br>
    bla-bla-bla

    Ray_Net, Oct 3, 2011
  8. You have JavaScript disabled, else you cannot right-click to view "This
    frame". I am using SeaMonkey 2.4.1

    Jonathan N. Little, Oct 3, 2011
  9. Mon, 03 Oct 2011 18:31:54 -0400, /Jonathan N. Little/:
    I don't have JavaScript disabled, but I have Edit -> Preferences:

    Advanced / Scripts & Plugins:

    Allow scripts to:
    [ ] Disable or replace context menus

    (unchecked)

    Stanimir Stamenkov, Oct 4, 2011
  10. Nehmo

    cwdjrxyz Guest

    I just usually use Gadwin Print Screen to save something of this sort
    to a file or print it out. You can select an area of the screen to
    capture so that you do not have to go to some other image program to
    clip out the portion of the full screen that you wish. Gadwin Print
    Screen may not work on some OSs, but there are likely other programs
    that will.

    Javascript based scramble methods go back at least to IE4 and NN4
    days. Of course there were even then easy ways to get around them.
    Some urls are:

    http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex9/encrypter.htm

    http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex9/noright.htm
    http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex9/noright2.htm
    http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex9/noright3.htm

    cwdjrxyz, Oct 4, 2011
  11. Forgot about that setting. Back in the day when SeaMonkey was Mozilla
    and older Communicator the advanced settings did not have that option

    Jonathan N. Little, Oct 4, 2011
  12. Nehmo

    Ray_Net Guest

    Correct ! yes and no. I have the java plugin disabled.
    BUT, on a personal page i have javascript to perform some functions -
    and this is working ok. So my javascript is not disabled.

    Ray_Net, Oct 4, 2011
  13. But then as Stanimir pointed out you must have the advance setting
    "Preferences > Advance > Scripts & Plugins > Disable or replace context
    menus" unchecked, otherwise the site's JavaScript would have blocked
    your right-click menu.

    Jonathan N. Little, Oct 4, 2011
  14. Nehmo

    Ray_Net Guest

    Correct ! You are the best !

    Ray_Net, Oct 5, 2011
  15. I don't have JavaScript disabled, but all I need to do is select the
    text, copy it, and paste it into a text editor. That's it. I don't know
    if that wotks in all browsers, but it works just fine in mine (iCab).
    The only effect I can see is that it makes the page about five times
    slower to load.

    Athel Cornish-Bowden, Oct 6, 2011
  16. Nehmo

    P E Schoen Guest

    "Jonathan N. Little" wrote in message
    I found that saving it "As HTML" from IE9 converts the escape characters to
    plain text, and then you can just extract that (which includes the HTML tags
    for formatting).

    It is effective for keeping the usual customers from lifting the content
    easily.

    Paul

    P E Schoen, Oct 9, 2011