esitmate for dataset weight

Robbe Morris [C# MVP]

How many did you have in mind?

You are shoving it all into memory
on top of the overhead of the various
collections in a DataSet.

Does it really need to be in a DataSet or
can it be in a DataTable or some other
more efficient storage mechanism?

Bruce Barker

it depends on the row size, and use.

a 1000 rows of a 1 int column table is probably lighter than 10 rows of a
table that has about 2k text per row. also if its only used on the server it
can be bigger than if passed between tiers with soap.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)

Lucas Tam

hey all,

how many records is considered a lot to hold in a dataset?

The less the better : )

Just consider a dataset an in memory cache. To see how much space your data
set will take up, multiply your row size by the number of rows you're
planning on having, and add some fudge factor to account for the dataset
overhead.

Lucas Tam

Does it really need to be in a DataSet or
can it be in a DataTable or some other
more efficient storage mechanism?

Is a datatable that much more efficent than a dataset? I would have thought
they're roughly the same. (i.e. 1 table dataset, 1 table datatable).