evaluating posts with stars

Joshua Cranmer

kaldrenon said:
On Aug 20, 10:41 am, (e-mail address removed) (Bent C Dalager) wrote:
I also eat food, know how to read, enjoy shouting loudly in German
(although I don't know much, because my high school's language program
was weak), and can die. The list of things I have in common with
Hitler is probably quite long, really.

My German is limited to "Ich bein ein Berliner" (probably spelled
atrociously) and "Vater unser" (grammatically incorrect?) . However, if
your high school language program is like mine, yours is limited to
talking about favorite sports and introducing family members.

Twisted

Umm.. OK? But.. what do *ISP*, geography or skin color
got to do with any of this?

People were discussing blanket-killfiling people based on news
provider, remember?

The following sentence is a blanket response to Kaldrenon and others
also, to rebut them:

Regardless of any statistics regarding spam sources, it is still wrong
for someone to be ignored not because of anything they did, but
because of something someone else did that just happens to use the
same service provider, and it is more so if the provider is one for
which many people have no alternative, say because they hold an
effective monopoly.
Please confirm to me that you understand that even
people with no 'personal ISP', have alternatives to GG,
for posting to the *Java* related groups. (I almost bet
there are other ways to contribute to most of the major
hierarchy of usenet newsrgoups, but would have to go
.Googling* to prove it)

These are no good to someone whose interests are broad enough that the
only single news source that covers it and that they have reasonably
ready access to is Google Groups. I expect this is a substantial
fraction of Usenet users, partly based on the fraction (rapidly
growing) of regular posters in the groups I read that have a GG path
(ending with "...googlegroups.com!not-for-mail" or similarly) in their
postings and other GG-indicative headers (unrelated to the fact that
I'm *reading* the post at GG).

Some site providing comp.lang.java.* gatewaying is of no use to me
because I use non-Java newsgroups too. Of course, in theory I could
sign up at a sextillion different sites each to post to one or a few
different newsgroups, but that's a **** of a lot of work, a buttload
of userids and passwords to remember, a metric shitload of exposure to
potential misuse of my personal information, and more frequently
having to do something as a workaround because one of the sites
decides to do something evil or stop working either temporarily or
permanently. Whereas I can use GG and access all of these groups from
just one place, with only one signin, only one exposure of personal
information to one organization, and a specific site has to go down to
inconvenience me instead of any of several dozen being able to do so
and it therefore happening dozens of times as often. Also, GG is a
large site with proven staying power, if questionable management and
reliability at times.

In short, my objection is the same as to any push towards Web forums
(and this includes non-Usenet "google groups" that require separate
signup rather than letting any existing GG member post) -- too many
logins, too many passwords, too many parties with access to my
personal information, too many failure points any one of which will
inconvenience me, too many separate bookmarks to have to visit to
check and catch up on everything, and just plain too many goddamn
annoying hoops to jump through. All not to satisfy *me*, but
apparently to satisfy *JohnT* and others like him. Why should I have
to multiply by a factor of umpteen the work involved in a) getting and
b) using my usenet access on *their* account? I haven't done anything
to them. I certainly haven't spammed them or any newsgroup they read,
or anyone or any newsgroup at all for that matter. And it's not just
me of course; JohnT and his ilk are implicitly asking this of *all* GG
users -- stop using GG and sign up for a million separate more
narrowly-scoped gateways each. It's not even so much that they choose
to KF the whole site themselves, which is I suppose their prerogative.
It's their promoting the practise and pushing everyone else towards
doing so that is especially morally objectionable, because a
significant positive response to such suggestions will make GG defacto
unusable for people as using it will get them ignored, and *force*
large numbers of people of limited financial means to either shell out
extra for usenet access or get it at much greater cost in time and
effort and risk-of-spam from a fragmented bunch of separate web
gateway providers. It's simply not fair to the vast majority of GG
users, who are legitimate, to do this because of a few rotten apples
in their midst. Rotten apples you can find at any other large news
provider, I might add, including whatever large ISPs still provide
usenet for their customers. Rotten apples for which there are existing
abuse-handling mechanisms I might add:

* Individual spammers can be reported and will tend to lose their
accounts at any responsible provider.
* Irresponsible providers can be subjected to a UDP, though this is
rare; most news providers now terminate spammer accounts quickly when
given good evidence of abuse rather than risk a UDP. Including GG.
* There are still automated cancels for spams are there not?
* A lot of news providers scrub inbound spam from their feeds with
e.g. Cleanfeed. News providers downstream of them don't receive the
spams via propagation; users don't see the spams at either the
provider that scrubs it or the providers it thereby fails to propagate
to.

The proper use of your local killfile is to block non-spamming posters
whose posts, while not in violation of their provider's TOS, are
objectionable to you. Blocking a whole site is stupid. Recommending
that others do so is evil *and* stupid.

Lasse Reichstein Nielsen

kaldrenon said:
Come to think of it, I bet if Hitler were still a live, we'd have one
more thing in common - a penchant for going OT on Usenet. =P

That would be two things ... the first is being alive :)

/L

Mike Schilling

Joe Attardi said:
There are also a few messages in the OpenOffice.org mailing list archive
from Paul Derbyshire, with a Reply-To header of (e-mail address removed).

Paul thinks I somehow falsified these archived messages, but he gives me
too much credit.

But those messages are obnoxious and belligerent.

foo bar baz qux

But those messages are obnoxious and belligerent.

There's old newsgroup postings from Carleton U suggesting that Paul
Derbyshire "hasn't changed since grade school", that he was forcibly
evicted from Carleton after some tantrums in a chemistry lab, that
even back in 1996 he had a history of paranoid seeming rantings in
both real life and in newsgroups.

He reminds me of MI5Victim.

nebulous99

Why does it matter? Those mail messages have nothing to do with you.

True, but this entire thread is massively off-topic and the sole
purpose of posting this shit is to inflame the newsgroup and generate
more off-topic crap.

nebulous99

[snip a vicious smearing of some other poor sap]

This is a) off-topic, b) inflammatory, c) pointless, d) rude, e) quite
possibly defamatory of the person you attacked, and f) doesn't even
seem to be directed at anyone currently active in the one newsgroup
you appear to have posted it to. As such, it seems to have been
misplaced. The correct destination for the message was ... *consults
some references* ... seems to be /dev/null. HTH. HAND.

Mike Schilling

[snip a vicious smearing of some other poor sap]

This is a) off-topic, b) inflammatory, c) pointless, d) rude, e) quite
possibly defamatory of the person you attacked, and f) doesn't even
seem to be directed at anyone currently active in the one newsgroup
you appear to have posted it to. As such, it seems to have been
misplaced. The correct destination for the message was ... *consults
some references* ... seems to be /dev/null. HTH. HAND.

Why don't you lament the waste of bandwidth n five or six more posts?

bbound

[snip a vicious smearing of some other poor sap]
This is a) off-topic, b) inflammatory, c) pointless, d) rude, e) quite
possibly defamatory of the person you attacked, and f) doesn't even
seem to be directed at anyone currently active in the one newsgroup
you appear to have posted it to. As such, it seems to have been
misplaced. The correct destination for the message was ... *consults
some references* ... seems to be /dev/null. HTH. HAND.

Why don't you lament the waste of bandwidth n five or six more posts?

Why don't you shut up?

Mike Schilling

[snip a vicious smearing of some other poor sap]
This is a) off-topic, b) inflammatory, c) pointless, d) rude, e) quite
possibly defamatory of the person you attacked, and f) doesn't even
seem to be directed at anyone currently active in the one newsgroup
you appear to have posted it to. As such, it seems to have been
misplaced. The correct destination for the message was ... *consults
some references* ... seems to be /dev/null. HTH. HAND.

Why don't you lament the waste of bandwidth n five or six more posts?

Why don't you shut up?

It is funny how irate you get about criticism of someone who "isn't you".

Twisted

It is funny how irate you get about criticism of someone who "isn't you".

Unlike your original post, accusing me (by implication) of being a
hypocritical waste of bandwidth is criticizing someone who *is* me.

Also, my question was meant to refer more generally to your large
spree of OT posts last night and not just to the specific one I picked
to post it as a reply to. You seem to deliberately seek out new
postings by me so as to post outright attacks, snarky followups of
various sorts, or just plain OT blather in response to them, for no
apparent rational reason. I honestly don't see why you put in the
time, since your reputation hasn't been put on the line (unlike mine,
when I'm attacked) and you're presumably not being paid to do this.
Haven't you got anything better to do? :p

Chris Smith

Mike Schilling said:
It is funny how irate you get about criticism of someone who "isn't you".

Frankly, I have to say I'm getting pretty irate about it, too.

I believe everyone who has contributed to this newsgroup has a vested
interest in what it looks like. I spent years of my life trying to make
this a helpful place for Java programmers to come and ask questions.
I'm not the person who's contributed most, or anything like it; and I'm
not perfect either -- but I have devoted a considerable part of my
energy over several years.

When posters -- Twisted, Joe Attardi, and now yourself -- act this way,
it's a slap in the face to Roedy, Patricia, Jon, Oliver, myself, and
dozens of others who've worked hard to create a sense of helpful
community here.

There, that's my piece. I'll do my best to ignore it all from here on.

PS: I realize your post isn't unprovoked; and I'm addressing you because
Twisted and Joe Attardi are even less likely to listen. Every word
applies to them at least as much. Yes, that's unfair. Sorry.

Mike Schilling

Chris said:
When posters -- Twisted, Joe Attardi, and now yourself -- act this
way, it's a slap in the face to Roedy, Patricia, Jon, Oliver, myself,
and dozens of others who've worked hard to create a sense of helpful
community here.

I have to disagree, Chris. Respectfully, of course. Attacking innocents and
hijacking serious threads for inane flamewars hurts the community. Trying
to drive out the ones responsible for that sort of behavior might improve
it.

Chris Smith

Mike Schilling said:
I have to disagree, Chris. Respectfully, of course. Attacking innocents and
hijacking serious threads for inane flamewars hurts the community. Trying
to drive out the ones responsible for that sort of behavior might improve
it.

Ah, then we don't have an ethical disagreement, but a practical one.
Reasonable people, when treated badly, may think "whatever!" and move
on. Unreasonable people think either "Yes, this is what I like to see
in a newsgroup!" or "I must defend myself against every possible
slander!" and start posting more as a result, but not in a positive way.

It is a well-established result that trolls, including oversensitive
people, go away more quickly when ignored, and less quickly when
mistreated.

Joshua Cranmer

Mike said:
I have to disagree, Chris. Respectfully, of course. Attacking innocents and
hijacking serious threads for inane flamewars hurts the community. Trying
to drive out the ones responsible for that sort of behavior might improve
it.

I am more inclined to point out this old cliché: Lie down with the dogs
and wakeup with the fleas.

Flamebait is built dealt with by leaving it alone. A debate requires two
people to argue with each other. By not arguing, the flamewar has only
one side and cannot be continued: the flamewars you are trying to
prevent only exist because people are trying to drive out those responsible.

Yes, I know it is difficult to avoid responding when you see what feels
like a libelous charge. Having a robust killfile and competent
newsreader helps in this regard.

A troll is closer to a virus then a weed. Trolls leech off of others;
they cannot stand on their own. Taking some vaccinations (kill-listing
them) and imploring others to do the same will kill them off by denying
them fresh hosts to live.

Spam, on the other hand, is a weed. The only remedy for that is potent
herbicides. :-D

Bent C Dalager

When posters -- Twisted, Joe Attardi, and now yourself -- act this way,
it's a slap in the face to Roedy, Patricia, Jon, Oliver, myself, and
dozens of others who've worked hard to create a sense of helpful
community here.

We had to destroy the newsgroup in order to save it.

Cheers
Bent D

EricF

Ah, then we don't have an ethical disagreement, but a practical one.
Reasonable people, when treated badly, may think "whatever!" and move
on. Unreasonable people think either "Yes, this is what I like to see
in a newsgroup!" or "I must defend myself against every possible
slander!" and start posting more as a result, but not in a positive way.

It is a well-established result that trolls, including oversensitive
people, go away more quickly when ignored, and less quickly when
mistreated.

I saw this a few years ago, thanks to whoever the original poster was.

Eric

"Usenet being what it is, if you participate in newsgroups
at all over a period if time you have the possibility of
attracting your own personal lunatic, who considers any
disagreement a personal affront, and considers it their
duty and obligation to "expose" the person they fixate on.
It's kind of pathetic, but they can't quite seem to figure
out why no one else sees their actions as heroic."
-Richard Ward

Here is some fine advice from the Irish FAQ at
http://www.geocities.com/welisc/ifaq/part01.html#5

5) What is a troll? What should I do when I see one?

A troll is an attempt to start a prolonged flame war (a fierce
argument with rude, personal insults). A troll is usually an
article that is so outrageous, insulting and stupid that you
feel you have to reply. You can often recognise it because it
is crossposted to several groups (very few articles posted to
more than three groups are worth reading). If it is posted by
someone from whom you have never seen posts before (especially
if they are using an anonymous account), it is likely to be a
troll. Trolls will often flagrantly violate basic netiquette.

If you see a troll, the one thing you must not do is post an
angry reply. If you do, the troller will have succeeded. It
is better to ignore the troll. Trolls crave attention and
responding to them encourages them to keep posting.
soc.culture.irish has at times been overwhelmed with trolls
posting racist or sectarian rubbish that people naturally
wish to refute. Unfortunately, most trolls have an IQ only
slightly above room temperature and attempting to enlighten
them is an exercise in futility and frustration. Life is
too short to waste it arguing with these morons. The huge
waste of bandwidth caused by a troll's posts and responses
to them destroys much of the enjoyment to be had from
reading s.c.i. Arguing with a troll will not make them go
away but only encourage them to continue polluting the
newsgroup. The only effective way to get rid of a troll
is to ignore it. This admonition is considered so important
that it has been enshrined in the Lex Cunninghamensis,
which states:

**************************
* Do not feed the trolls *
**************************

If you have a killfile facility (sometimes called a filter)
in your newsreader, you can set it to ignore future posts
from the troll. This facility is named BlockSender in Outlook
Express. A good newsreader can also be set to "kill" a subject
(ignore future posts with that subject line).

Joe Attardi

When posters -- Twisted, Joe Attardi, and now yourself -- act this way,
it's a slap in the face to Roedy, Patricia, Jon, Oliver, myself, and
dozens of others who've worked hard to create a sense of helpful
community here.

Chris,

It wasn't until you lumped me in the same category as Twisted that I
realize how unnecessarily long I've carried on feeding Twisted, and I
apologize to anyone in the group that it's irritated.

I pledge to killfile/otherwise ignore Twisted and never respond to him
ever again. Even when he replies to this message with a "Good
riddance" type message, I will just let it go.

Sorry to all and I will try to be more helpful.