[EVALUATION] - E04 - Leadership! Google, Guido van Rossum, PSF

Aahz

And, FWIW, I don't think I could convince my wife (or myself) to move
to CullyFORNya for any amount of money, whether there was a massage
therapist on duty or not...

Google also has technical offices in the New York area.

Dave Hansen

On 12 Jan 2006 16:16:58 -0800 in comp.lang.python,
Google also has technical offices in the New York area.

City? <shudder>. I moved out of the 'burbs of Minneapolis about 6
years ago, not because of the weather, but because it was getting too
crowded for me.

How 'bout Des Moines, or Madison? Or even Lubbock? Traverse City
would be ideal, though there's no large university nearby (you can
probably guess my biases...).

Or even the Twin Cities? I still have friends there, and might be
coaxed back. (Yeah, like Google wants to coax _me_ ;-)

Regards,
-=Dave

Alex Martelli

Dave Hansen said:
City? <shudder>. I moved out of the 'burbs of Minneapolis about 6
years ago, not because of the weather, but because it was getting too
crowded for me.

Yep, city -- specifically on Broadway, close to Briant Park (walking
distance from Times Square). Definitely too crowded for you.
How 'bout Des Moines, or Madison? Or even Lubbock? Traverse City
would be ideal, though there's no large university nearby (you can
probably guess my biases...).

Or even the Twin Cities? I still have friends there, and might be
coaxed back. (Yeah, like Google wants to coax _me_ ;-)

The full current list of locations and openings:
<http://www.google.com/support/jobs/bin/topic.py?loc_id=1104&dep_id=1173
• Arizona - Phoenix (24 types of openings)
• California - Mountain View (455 types of openings)
• California - Irvine (12 types of openings)
• California - Santa Monica (33 types of openings)
• Colorado - Denver (1 type of opening)
• Georgia - Atlanta (14 types of openings)
• Illinois - Chicago (12 types of openings)
• Massachusetts - Boston (5 types of openings)
• Michigan - Ann Arbor (3 types of openings)
• Michigan - Detroit (4 types of openings)
• New York - New York (92 types of openings)
• Oregon - Portland (1 type of opening)
• Pennsylvania - Pittsburgh (1 type of opening)
• Texas - Dallas (1 type of opening)
• Washington D.C. (3 types of openings)
• Washington - Kirkland (26 types of openings)
• Washington - Seattle (5 types of openings)
• West Coast (1 type of opening)
• Any Location (USA or Canada) (13 types of openings)

Not all the openings are technical, e.g. the one opening in Denver is
for an Account Strategist in Advertising Sales, and those that are may
require skills very different from yours, e.g. the one opening in
Portland is for a Linux System Administrator. The one location where
you're most likely to find an opening for your skills is Mountain View,
e.g. we do require experience in C (and assembly) programming in
embedded environments in an opening for "Senior Hardware Engineer"
(which however also requires hardware architecture and design) and some
other positions (which also require other skills, such as Control
Systems with experience in sensor interfaces, for example). But if you
only want wide open, uncrowded spaces, Google may not have a suitable
opening for you... yet;-).

Alex

M.-A. Lemburg

Duncan said:
That's a horrible suggestion (using id's, not the bit about separate
namespaces). If you use the id then attributes will persist beyond the
lifetime of the object and may suddenly reappear on other unrelated objects
later.

A better suggestion here would be to use weak references. Unfortunately,
not every Python object can be the target of a weak reference, so there is
a limitation here preventing a useful implementation for many builtin
types.

mxProxy could help with that:

http://www.egenix.com/files/python/mxProxy.html

It allows creating weak references to any Python object
(among other things like protecting object access).

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source (#1, Jan 13 2006)________________________________________________________________________