PSF News: Guido van Rossum quitting Python to develop new, more difficult to learn, language.

Pierre O'Dee

PSF [Beaverton, OR] 1 April 2013 -- At a news conference held
earlier today, Guido van Rossum announced that he is quitting
Python to develop a new language.

"Python just makes programming too damn easy and too bug-free,"
Guido said as part of his remarks in a brief, prepared statement.
He added, "The way things are going, soon, everyone in the world
will be programming in Python -- even children!"

Guido went on to say that he's now working on a new language
called Giddy-up-and-Go which will take the worst features of C++,
Java, and French combined with elements of both PHP and Klingon
syntax. He said that this new endeavor should put the work and
frustration back into programming "[where] it ought to be."
Responding to a reporter's question in a brief Q&A following the
announcement, Guido said, "Real programmers don't need no
stinkin' easy and intuitive language to program with."

Some features have already been hinted at for the new language.
No Unicode -- BAUDOT is expected to be the new character
encoding. Numeric types have been eliminated as it's no longer
relevant or possible for most students and younger PhDs to do
even simple arithmetic considering the current state of the
so-called educational system. One surprising feature is that
everything will be a subject using Guido's new subject-oriented
programming (SOP) paradigm. Other sources said that variables
(subjects in the new paradigm) will now be passed by gas.

Python 3.3 will be the last version of Python. Look for
announcements soon for the new Giddy-up-and-Go mailing lists.

PSF will be selling its holdings to Oracle as they've embraced
the open-source philosophy so freely and warmly. One insider
shared unconfirmed rumors that Mr. Johnson will be attempting to
revive and steer the now defunct Python language -- which
elicited further concerns amongst the somewhat bewildered Python
community.

All newsgroups mentioning Python -- the full Monty -- will be
closed today.

--Pierre O'Dee, self-appointed spokesman for the PSF

Chris Angelico

One insider
shared unconfirmed rumors that Mr. Johnson will be attempting to
revive and steer the now defunct Python language

It's about time his untiring contributions to this list and the
language were recognized.

I fully support this move.

ChrisA

Chris Angelico

[...]

It took me an embarassingly long time to 'get' Mr. O'Dee's name.

I only just did now, after you pointed it out. Must be an accent
thing, that's not really how I pronounce the word.

ChrisA

Emanuel Woiski

Guido went on to say that he's now working on a new language
called Giddy-up-and-Go which will take the worst features of C++,
Java, and French combined with elements of both PHP and Klingon
syntax.
[...]
We are all eagerly waitin' for the new GuG (or GuGO?) language!
Is it on github?
regards
woiski

Ethan Furman

Guido went on to say that he's now working on a new language
called Giddy-up-and-Go which will take the worst features of C++,
Java, and French combined with elements of both PHP and Klingon
syntax.
[...]
We are all eagerly waitin' for the new GuG (or GuGO?) language!

I think the 'U' is silent, making it GAG.

Mark Lawrence

Some features have already been hinted at for the new language.
No Unicode -- BAUDOT is expected to be the new character
encoding.

--Pierre O'Dee, self-appointed spokesman for the PSF

This is excellent news, no unicode means no chance of any performance
regressions whilst implementing stupid things like memory savings and
correctness.

One question, why use a character encoding that's named after a very
famous French actress?

Steve Simmons

It's in recognition of the gap between English and French - it helps you to bridge it.

John Ladasky

Guido went on to say that he's now working on a new language
called Giddy-up-and-Go which will take the worst features of C++,
Java, and French combined with elements of both PHP and Klingon
syntax. He said that this new endeavor should put the work and
frustration back into programming "[where] it ought to be."

In other news, the famed University of Milan computer science professor Aprille Pazzo announced that she would be joining the Giddy-up-and-Go development team.

llanitedave

Another detail about the new language: the Btrees used in Python's persistent object data structures have been replaced by...

A SHRUBBERY!

Tim Daneliuk

PSF [Beaverton, OR] 1 April 2013 -- At a news conference held

Amazing that this should show up when it did. Just today, we
had Board Meeting at the intergalactic HQ of TundraWare Inc.
and finally decided to move forward with this project we'd
announced some time ago:

http://compgroups.net/comp.lang.python/ann-yapdl/1638348

We would be pleased to cooperate with you in this new venture,
especially insofar as we too believe there is simply not
enough French linguistic construct in the modern programming
languages.

Merci,
Bon Chance,
A la bouffe,

Tim Daneliuk

Another detail about the new language: the Btrees used in Python's persistent object data structures have been replaced by...

A SHRUBBERY!

I believe you mean "A 'oly shrubbery", do you not?