Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation....what is this?

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by darrel, Jun 9, 2005.

  1. darrel

    darrel Guest

    I've written a function that will upload a file. This sort of works. It
    works sometimes, and then other times...namely when it tries to write to an
    existing directory (but not always), I get this error:

    Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.

    Googling seems to indicate that that's a pretty generic error. Is there any
    way to find out more specifics as to what is causing this?

    The specific line it appears to choke on is this:

    postedFile.SaveAs(savePath & strUploadFileName)

    Again, it works sometimes, not others. Both times, it has the same string.
    I'm stumped.

    -Darrel

    darrel, Jun 9, 2005

  2. Is it when the file already exists? Perhaps it won't automatically
    overwrite the file on the filesystem.....or make sure you the aspnet
    account has Delete/Modify access in Windows to the target folder, as
    creating a file is different permission than deleting/modifying. dunno...

    Craig Deelsnyder, Jun 10, 2005

  3. darrel

    darrel Guest

    Is it when the file already exists? Perhaps it won't automatically
    It's something like that. If the folder/directory exists it pukes with that
    error. I'm guessing it is a permissions issue, but everything seems OK.

    -Darrel

    darrel, Jun 10, 2005