Exciting Open Source Project in C++

harmeet123

I possess an academic level knowledge in C++ and have worked on few
classroom projects. Now, I'm looking forward to put my hands into an
open source project in C++. I have a lot of time to study and
understand it, and then I would like to contribute in it.

Can someone please suggest me an open source project, which is good
for a fresher.

puzzlecracker

Depends on what kind of project you're looking for.

Didn't you hear what he said? He doesn't know what he's looking for.
In other words, he wants to explore an open source project and see ins
and outs of a big software, hoping to contribute in the future. In my
opinion, it is a great initiative.

Have you tried googling for an ongoing c++ project and then picking
one, as well as asking the group for their opinion on a selected few
you want to pursue?

The first thing comes to mind is Mozilla project:
http://developer.mozilla.org/en/Download_Mozilla_Source_Code

puzzlecracker

I recall trying Mozilla when I wanted to get started with OSS, and found
the build environment kind of a hassle.  I ended up mostly playing with
window manager extensions.

KDE might be a nice place to start, and knowledge of Qt is nice to have.

isn't KDE itself is overly complicated and could be overwhelming to a
newcomer? I wonder if there is an OSS distributive system, perhaps
browser or instant messenger like, that is easy to build, navigate and
understand.

f.fracassi

isn't KDE itself is overly complicated and could be overwhelming to a
newcomer? I wonder if there is an OSS distributive system, perhaps
browser or instant messenger like, that is easy to build, navigate and
understand.

The KDE is very clearly structured, so it is quite easy to find your
way around.
And besides you can also select a program that you like and constrain
yourself to it.
Kopete is KDE's messanger, Konquerer the browser (which is got much
praise for its code quality)

KDE uses CMake as a build system which makes building almost trivial.

KDE has a mailing list which is (improperly) called KDE-Quality, which
helps newcomers to get involved. Yust drop them a line.

HTH