Experts I have 2 questions remaining

MrHelpMe

Hello experts,

Using asp with javascript and after reading many articles I found that
1 way to hide url is to use frames. However, my application has a
form in which the user enter's values and clicks submit. I email is
then submitted to an individual the user selects. In that email there
is a link. I have 2 questions.

1)how do I hide the information that is shown when the user hover's
over the link in the email?
using Cdots this is the variable that holds the link. How do I modify
this so that if users hovers, they don't see the query variables.

Code:
URL = "<a href=" & "http://localhost/page1.asp?UserID=" & LastID & "&"
& "HardwareID=" & HardwareID & ">" & "Click Here" & "</a>"

2)I loose my frames portion when the users clicks on the link and is
directed to a page with a query string. However I have found some
code to try and work with this but it is not working. Maybe someone
could help me change/modify this code to work.

Here is my frame page
Code:
<script language="Javascript">
var thatframe = 'test2.asp'
if (location.search)
{
var thatframe =
(location.search.substring(1,location.search.length))
}
var frameset = '<FRAMESET ROWS="93,*">'+'<FRAME NAME="thisframe" SRC="/
banner1.asp" MARGINHEIGHT=0 MARGINWIDTH=0 FRAMEBORDER=0 SCROLLING=NO
NORESIZE>'
+'<FRAMESET COLS="100%">'+'<FRAME NAME="thatframe" SRC= "'+ thatframe
+'" MARGINHEIGHT=0 MARGINWIDTH=0 FRAMEBORDER=0 SCROLLING=AUTO
NORESIZE>'
+'</FRAMESET>'
document.write(frameset)
</script>
<HTML>

Here is the portion of the code that I am supposed to add to the page
that the email link is directing too
Code:
{
window.location = frame_builder +'?'+ window.location.pathname
}
When I click on the email link and it links to the page I still see
the url querystring attributes and I do not see my frames(banner1.asp
and test2.asp). Is there any way to modify this so it works and calls
both frames. Thanks experts.

Here is the email link that I took the code from
http://www.greggriffiths.org/webdev/clientside/javascript/framemanager/

Lee

MrHelpMe said:
Hello experts,

Using asp with javascript and after reading many articles I found that
1 way to hide url is to use frames. However, my application has a
form in which the user enter's values and clicks submit. I email is
then submitted to an individual the user selects. In that email there
is a link. I have 2 questions.

1)how do I hide the information that is shown when the user hover's
over the link in the email?
using Cdots this is the variable that holds the link. How do I modify
this so that if users hovers, they don't see the query variables.

It would help to know why you want to hide the information.
There is no complete solution. The best solution for you will
depend on what you're hiding and why.

There's no reason why you should have to use a link at all,
or even query variables.

2)I loose my frames portion

Do you loose them, or lose them? This is confusing because the
act of loosing something is generally intentional, while losing
something is more often an accident.

MrHelpMe

--

Lee,

Thanks for your help. As for your first answer to question 1, I will
explain why.
I do not want users to see the url link when hovering over the email
text link because this would mean that they can easily change the
query string values and basically modify values in the database. I
understand that this is not a complete(security enabled) solution but
it will work for me:) As for your comment There's no reason why you
should have to use a link at all, or even query variables could you
please explain this with some code. The reason I have a link is
because the user who receives an email will click the link and either
approve or disapprove the item being ordered.

As for your second comment on my spelling:) well o.k. I didn't know
this was an English grammar session but your comment is justified:)
Hopefully you don't find anything wrong with the spelling on this
reply:) Thanks again Lee.

MrHelpMe

MrHelpMe said the following on 6/5/2007 8:10 AM:

Hello experts,
Using asp with javascript and after reading many articles I found that
1 way to hide url is to use frames. However, my application has a
form in which the user enter's values and clicks submit. I email is
then submitted to an individual the user selects. In that email there
is a link. I have 2 questions.
1)how do I hide the information that is shown when the user hover's
over the link in the email?
using Cdots this is the variable that holds the link. How do I modify
this so that if users hovers, they don't see the query variables.
Code:
URL = "<a href=" & "http://localhost/page1.asp?UserID=" & LastID & "&"
& "HardwareID=" & HardwareID & ">" & "Click Here" & "</a>"

There is nothing you can do to stop me from seeing a URL that a link
goes to. What you can do though is instead of putting the actual
information in the link, use a token and then look it up on the server
and retrieve the data.

And then have the server look up transactionNumber 123456 and retrieve
LastID and HardwareID that is associated with that transaction.

--
Randy
Chance Favors The Prepared Mind

Hey Randy,
Thanks for the response. So nothing can be done eh. Damn. I see
what you are saying with the token but if the user knows the
transactionNumber he/she could change it and pull the info. for that
number. This is what i am trying to eliminate.