help with multilevel frames

kd dolezal/rob nishida

Hello,

I am having trouble referencing global variables within a multilevel frameset

This is my frameset definition:
<FRAMESET rows="211,*" name="outsideframeset" framespacing="0" border="0" frameborder="0">

<frameset cols="188,*" name = "topframeset">

<frame src="corner.htm" name="cornerframe" target="main" scrolling="no" noresize marginwidth="0" marginheight="0">

<frame src="new_top.htm" name="topframe" scrolling="no" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0" noresize target="_self">

</frameset>

<frameset cols="188,*" name = "bottomframeset">

<frame src="side.htm" name="sideframe" target="main" scrolling="no" noresize>

<frame src="page.htm" name= "pageframe" target="_self" scrolling="auto">

</frameset>

etc.

Initially I had some variables defined in one of the frames(pageframe) and I was able to access them from the other frames using a parent reference.

Example: parent.pageframe.variable_name

I decided I needed to have some of my variables available even if I had another page loaded into the pageframe, so I defined them as global variables within the head portion of the frameset page. I now can't seem to access them.

I have tried using parent and top and neither one works within the frameset I've defined above.

If instead, I redefine the frameset as follows:

<frameset cols="188,*" name = "bottomframeset">
<frame src="side.htm" name="sideframe" target="main" scrolling="no" noresize>

<frame src="page.htm" name= "pageframe" target="_self" scrolling="auto">

etc.

I can reference the global variables using both parent and top

Example: parent.variable_name

Example: top.variable_name

Does anyone have any ideas as to why I can't get this to work?

Thanks,

kd dolezal