Export to Excel. Browser setting?

Bill E.

I've used the following code countless times to successfully create an
excel export from a datagrid.

Protected Sub ExportToExcel(ByVal datagrid As Control)
'Create an MS Excel Response
Response.Clear()
Response.Buffer = True
Response.Charset = ""

Dim oStringWriter As System.IO.StringWriter = New
System.IO.StringWriter
Dim oHtmlTextWriter As System.Web.UI.HtmlTextWriter = New
System.Web.UI.HtmlTextWriter(oStringWriter)

datagrid.RenderControl(oHtmlTextWriter)
Response.Write(oStringWriter.ToString)
Response.End()
End Sub

However, for some reason on one particular project I'm only getting
the first row of results
when the browser returns with the response.

If I comment out the line

I receive all rows. Is there a browser directive that I'm missing?

Bill E.
Hollywood, FL

Guest

Hello,

I have seen a sample on the web and the code used it's a bit different,
try the sample, it should work fine:

http://www.dotnetjohn.com/articles.aspx?articleid=231

protected void btnExport_Click ( object sender, EventArgs e )

{

Response.Clear ( );

Response.AddHeader ( "content-disposition",
"attachment;filename=FileName.xls" );

Response.Charset = "";

Response.ContentType = "application/vnd.xls";

StringWriter StringWriter = new System.IO.StringWriter ( );

HtmlTextWriter HtmlTextWriter = new HtmlTextWriter ( StringWriter );

gvToExport.RenderControl ( HtmlTextWriter );

Response.Write ( StringWriter.ToString ( ) );

Response.End ( );

}

To check for more resources about generating Excel from ASP .net:

http://www.tipsdotnet.com/ArticleBlog.aspx?KWID=51&Area=Excel&PageIndex=0

/// ------------------------------
/// Braulio Diez
///
/// http://www.tipsdotnet.com
/// ------------------------------

Bill E.

Braulio,

Thanks for the reply. There really is no difference between the code
you posted and what I posted except the content type, which I don't
believe is correct in your case.

I discovered that the Response.End statement was the culprit. For
whatever reason, the response was getting truncated by this, and only
when the content type was Excel. I'll have to look at it in more
depth because this has not happened before to me.

Bill

Bill E.

I found the cause of the problem. The datagrid was populated by a
DataSet based on a stored procedure. One of the columns returned by
the stored procedure was a varchar type that contained a string
representing an XML document. Therefore, each row contained an XML
document in that column. I can only guess that the tags in these XML
documents were confusing the browser. When I removed this column from
the stored procedure, everything worked normally and I received a
perfectly good Excel workbook with all data.

Bill E.
Hollywood, FL