File and location paths for jstl.jar

Garrett Smith

I'm looking for a guide or FAQ for taglibs in Tomcat 6 including which
jar files for the standard files and which versions I need, specifically
where to put them. Again, I am using Tomcat 6.

<%@ taglib prefix="c" uri="http://java.sun.com/jsp/jstl/core" %>

I asked before on JavaRanch:
<http://www.coderanch.com/t/498861/Ranch-Office/FAQ-Setup-Jstl-Jsp#2247499>

But as you can see, ah, well, best expressed by Paul Wheaton:

| Hi. Nice to meet you. I am the censor king on this site. Freedom of
| the press belongs to those that own one and all that.

That's not of concern to me at the moment. I need to fix the errors on
my site and I want a definitive reference.

Lew

I'm looking for a guide or FAQ for taglibs in Tomcat 6 including which
jar files for the standard files and which versions I need, specifically
where to put them. Again, I am using Tomcat 6.

<%@ taglib prefix="c" uri="http://java.sun.com/jsp/jstl/core" %>

$ ls $CATALINA_HOME/lib
annotations-api.jar jasper-el.jar
catalina-ant.jar jasper.jar
catalina-ha.jar jasper-jdt.jar
catalina.jar jsp-api.jar
catalina-tribes.jar jstl.jar
commons-beanutils-core-1.8.2.jar junit-4.8.2.jar
commons-codec-1.4.jar log4j-1.2.15.jar
commons-collections-3.2.1.jar ojdbc6.jar
commons-digester-2.0.jar orai18n.jar
commons-discovery-0.4.jar postgresql-8.4-701.jdbc4.jar
commons-fileupload-1.2.1.jar servlet-api.jar
commons-io-1.4.jar standard.jar
commons-lang-2.5.jar tomcat-coyote.jar
commons-logging-1.1.1.jar tomcat-dbcp.jar
commons-logging-adapters-1.1.1.jar tomcat-i18n-es.jar
commons-logging-api-1.1.1.jar tomcat-i18n-fr.jar
el-api.jar tomcat-i18n-ja.jar

Basically each app server includes its own versions of JARs. The above shows
Tomcat's. I copy files like jstl.jar from there, and
postgresql-8.4-701.jdbc4.jar into there as hackery demands.

Other libraries require more creative approaches. I keep a directory as the
eventual destination from download sites (e.g.,
http://myfaces.apache.org/tomahawk/) that sources custom library definitions
such as IDEs sport:
$ ls /opt/java/lib/faces
facelets-1.1.15 myfaces-core-2.0.0-beta-2-bin
facelets-1.2-DEV-20061110 myfaces-tobago-1.0.24
mojarra-1.2_14-b01-FCS portlet-bridge-2.0.0-alpha-2
mojarra-2.0.2-FCS tomahawk12-1.1.9
myfaces-core-1.2.8
$

Whether to copy or link to those directories for any given project is a
case-by-case matter of art.

Garrett Smith

I'm looking for a guide or FAQ for taglibs in Tomcat 6 including which
jar files for the standard files and which versions I need, specifically
where to put them. Again, I am using Tomcat 6.

<%@ taglib prefix="c" uri="http://java.sun.com/jsp/jstl/core" %>
[...]
Basically each app server includes its own versions of JARs. The above
shows Tomcat's.
I was under the impression that which version of Tomcat made a
difference in both the taglib URL for the "common" library and for the
version of jars.