File Input Problem, please help, specific to XP SP2

Alon Zilkha

Hi All,

I just noticed a problem with Internet Explorer on Service Pack 2 of Windows
XP and it is driving me insane!! I would greatly appreciate it if someone
could help me out...

I have a basic asp file (test.asp) with the following code:

<%
Response.Write(Request.Form("testalon"))
%>

<form name=yo method="post" action="test.asp">
<input type=file name=testalon>
<input type=button value=submit onclick="javascript:yo.submit();">
</form>

When I click on the submit button, I get the following Script Error:
"Access is Denied"

However, if I change the input to a text input rather than a file input,
everything works fine...

This does not happen with all previous versions of IE!!! (before Windows XP
Service pack 2). Does anyone know how to get around this (perhaps a setting
in IE) ? It will be difficult for me to switch all my code to text inputs
rather than file inputs since they are used so frequently...

Thanks,
Alon

Steve van Dongen

[...]

Try using a real submit button
<input type=submit value=submit>

Regards,
Steve

Alon Zilkha

Thanks for the reply Steve. I actually tried that earlier but had no luck.
Very interesting, with a submit button the form doesn't submit (and there's
no error either), but when I change the field to a regular text box it
submits just fine...

Alon

Randy Webb

Alon said:
So no one has any ideas???

Please don't top-post. Read the FAQ with regards to such.

<input type="submit" value="submit">

Why are you using JS to duplicate something the browser will already do
on its own?

Alon Zilkha

Sorry for the top post.

The example that I gave was a very basic snippet taken from a much larger
collection of code. So I can't easily explain why I am using a javascript
call to submit the form rather than a regular submit button.

Anyway, the problem still remains (whether using JS or using the browser). I
cannot submit a form that contains a file input..

Thanks,
Alon

Steve van Dongen

Alon Zilkha said:
Sorry for the top post.

The example that I gave was a very basic snippet taken from a much larger
collection of code. So I can't easily explain why I am using a javascript
call to submit the form rather than a regular submit button.

Well, it is easy to explain why doing so doesn't make much sense:
your page does not work for anyone who has disabled scripting. If you
run other script code when submitting the form it should be done in an
onsubmit event handler; return true or false to submit or not submit
the form respectively.

<form name=yo method="post" action="test.asp" onSubmit="return
DoBeforeSubmit(this)">
<input type=submit value=submit>

In any case,
onclick="javascript:yo.submit();"
is wrong. It should be
onclick="yo.submit();"
Anyway, the problem still remains (whether using JS or using the browser). I
cannot submit a form that contains a file input..

What is the rest of your script doing? Does it affect the file input
element at all? There were some security fixes in this area.

Regards,
Steve

Randy Webb

Alon said:
Sorry for the top post.

One would think that a person associated (or posting from) a university
(University of Texas), would refrain from top-posting to apologize for
top-posting. Is that the mentality they teach in college these days?
The example that I gave was a very basic snippet taken from a much larger
collection of code. So I can't easily explain why I am using a javascript
call to submit the form rather than a regular submit button.

Ignorance is usually the best defense. "I didn't know any better".
Otherwise, using JS to duplicate basic browser functionality is very
very flawed.

Anyway, the problem still remains (whether using JS or using the browser). I
cannot submit a form that contains a file input..

Then something else in your script is the problem. IE6 on XP SP2 will
submit a file input just fine (I have tested it locally and it doesn't
give me any errors). But I fail to see how a non-JS page can throw a JS
error when there is no JS on the page. If you had narrowed it down to
the smallest test case possible, that becomes obvious.

Read the FAQ. All of it.

Alon Zilkha

One would think that a person associated (or posting from) a university
(University of Texas), would refrain from top-posting to apologize for
top-posting. Is that the mentality they teach in college these days?

You guys need to pull the sticks out of your own asses... Ok, I
misunderstood what top posting was and repeated the mistake... Haha very
funny... and I'm from the University of Texas. 'How can a UT student not
understand what top-posting means??' GASSSPPP.

Why don't you all SHUT THE HELL UP. I am out of this forum... You're all so
useless. You have nothing better to do than sit around these forums being
rude to people, because you're such fucking pussies in every day life and
can't express yourself outside in the real world...

Michael Winter

On Sun, 3 Oct 2004 23:19:23 -0500, Alon Zilkha

[snip]
Ok, I misunderstood what top posting was and repeated the mistake...

And it's good of you to admit that, but why didn't you say so in the first
place? You're new. It's expected that you might not understand the way
things are done. If you enquired, "What is top posting?", someone would
have explained, or pointed to a resource that did so, and might even had
mentioned why it's frowned upon.

As it happens, Andrew did just that.
Haha very funny...

No-one's laughing at you or trying to make you look like a fool.
and I'm from the University of Texas. 'How can a UT student not
understand what top-posting means??' GASSSPPP.

Don't be facetious. Common etiquette on Usenet is to find the FAQ for the
group in question (Googling for the group name and 'FAQ' will usually
locate it), read it, and note how regular posters act and respond. It
tends to be a good indication of how to behave.
Why don't you all SHUT THE HELL UP. I am out of this forum... You're all
so useless.

You've interacted with just three responders, yet you seek to comment on
everyone? A little unfair, don't you think? Furthermore, I don't think
you've actually provided enough information to yield a helpful response so
far.

As Randy suggested, simplify the problem. Produce a very small, HTML-only
document with a form and a file input. See what happens. If there are no
problems with that, then it lies with something in the current code. Try
moving incrementally towards that version and you should find the cause.
If there are problems with the simple case, then it's more likely that
either the browser or the server is at fault.
You have nothing better to do than sit around these forums being rude to
people, because you're such fucking pussies in every day life and can't
express yourself outside in the real world...

I'm interested to know how you can sensibly make such an accusation. So
far, no-one has swore, no-one has insulted you, so your attack in
unprevoked. Randy has been terse, yes, but I am too. It's just a posting
style. It certainly doesn't warrant your actions.

If you want to act in a civilised manner, someone will help you. If you
don't, you'll be killfiled and ignored in perpetuity. Your choice.

Mike