File upload control

LtCommander

Hello all,

1. I am a little new to ASP.NET, so please bear with me.

2. I am trying to create a very simple website which requires an upload
box (end user file sizes may be anywhere between 1MB to 10 MB).

3. I would also like to show a progress bar so that the user can see
the progress of what he is uploading.

4. From what I've read, certain uploading controls allow reading of the
file size at the client's end and divide the data into chunks and show
a nice progress bar as it is uploading. I did a Google and that showed
many controls which are charged anywhere between USD 100 to USD 250.

5. I am looking for a suggestion on which 'upload control' to use. Of
course, the lesser the cost, the better. There wouldn't be any open
source ASP.NET uploading control, would there? Maybe that's wishful
thinking!

Thanks in advance for any lead or suggestion.

Vince

Michael D. Ober

Most web-browsers provide a rudamentary progress bar in their status bar
areas. Before trying a third party file upload control, give the one in
ASP.NET a try. Also, for larger files, you will need to set

<system.web>
<!-- set the maximum upload size to 50Mb -->
<httpRuntime maxRequestLength = "50000" />
</system.web>

The default size is 4096Kb.

Mike Ober.

Tim_Mac

hi Mike,

i think you mean the browser progress bar? this wouldn't be anything to do
with Asp.Net.

the browser progress bars in IE6 and Firefox provide no useful feedback for
file uploads. IE shows the first bar as soon as you start, and then it will
probably finish before the next bar increments. in my limited testing,
downloads finished at between 10% or 20% progress. the IE progress bar just
crawls along to show you that it is alive, without showing any actual
progress. Firefox doesn't seem to show any progress at all for file
uploads.

my impression is that they only work for downloading content.

tim