FileServer reports using RUBY for a newbee

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Kanthi, Oct 31, 2011.

  1. Kanthi

    Kanthi Guest

    Hi All,

    I am looking a way to build a complete reporting system for my file server to which daily data is uploaded. The data is uploaded into respective directories, which is a registration data( 1file= registration info)

    At the end of the day, the registrations made at respective locations are uploaded to central server using the software which is used for registration.. The file name format is as below.

    The format of the filename is as follows:

    N1N2N3N4N5N6N7N8N9N10N11N12N13N14YYYYMMDDHHMMSS.zip where,

    N1N2N3N4 – Branch Code
    N5N6N7N8N9 – ID.
    N10N11N12N13N14- Sequence Number
    YYYYMMDDHHMMSS – Date-time

    Sometimes there would be duplicates of the same file in multiple folders(previous days registration files existing in current days uploads) .

    To start of I would like report daily total registrations and duplicate registration and then grow it to full reporting system for the fileserver data( Daily reports, weekly reports etc).

    Please suggest me

    Regards

    Kanthi, Oct 31, 2011

  2. Use Pathname#find to locate files, Pathname#mtime to access modification
    times and use Digest::MD5 for identification of duplicates. Store
    cached results somewhere with Marshal. Depending on desired output you
    can use CSV or CGI for report output generation.

    Kind regards

    robert

    Robert Klemme, Oct 31, 2011

  3. Kanthi

    Kanthi Guest

    Thank You. I have started working on it.

    Kanthi, Nov 1, 2011