FileServer reports using RUBY for a newbee

Kanthi

Hi All,

I am looking a way to build a complete reporting system for my file server to which daily data is uploaded. The data is uploaded into respective directories, which is a registration data( 1file= registration info)

At the end of the day, the registrations made at respective locations are uploaded to central server using the software which is used for registration.. The file name format is as below.

The format of the filename is as follows:

N1N2N3N4N5N6N7N8N9N10N11N12N13N14YYYYMMDDHHMMSS.zip where,

N1N2N3N4 – Branch Code
N5N6N7N8N9 – ID.
N10N11N12N13N14- Sequence Number
YYYYMMDDHHMMSS – Date-time

Sometimes there would be duplicates of the same file in multiple folders(previous days registration files existing in current days uploads) .

To start of I would like report daily total registrations and duplicate registration and then grow it to full reporting system for the fileserver data( Daily reports, weekly reports etc).

Please suggest me

Regards

Robert Klemme

[...]

Use Pathname#find to locate files, Pathname#mtime to access modification
times and use Digest::MD5 for identification of duplicates. Store
cached results somewhere with Marshal. Depending on desired output you
can use CSV or CGI for report output generation.

Kind regards

robert