FileUpload Control within UpdatePanel

GaryDean

Is there any way to make an asp FileUpload control work within an
UpdatePanel?
Thanks,
Garyh

bruce barker

no. the update panel uses xmlhttprequest to post the form data which can
not access a file. you can use javascript and hidden iframes to upload a
file.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)

Steven Cheng [MSFT]

Hi Gary,

You can have a look at the blog article from marss. Here are some other
articles I've found mentioned some approaches create ajax stile uploading:

#Simple AJAX File Upload
http://www.codeproject.com/KB/ajax/simpleajaxupload.aspx

#Create An Ajax Style File Upload
http://geekswithblogs.net/rashid/archive/2007/08/01/Create-An-Ajax-Style-Fil
e-Upload.aspx

However, I still think directly put fileupload into updatepanel maybe
problem prone since it is not designed to hold fileupload task(multi-part
form data). Is there any particular requirement that you have to make file
upload via ajax style?

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng

Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

(e-mail address removed).

ications.

--------------------

bruce barker

you can upload file data via xmlhttprequest (its just base64 encode, easy
enough to do with javascript), you just can not read the file with javascript
to get the data.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)

Steven Cheng [MSFT]

Thanks for your input Bruce,

Yes, client-side script cannot directly access local file system and read
data. In web page, it will require the user to interactively select and use
html file input to upload file.

From: =?Utf-8?B?YnJ1Y2UgYmFya2Vy?= <[email protected]>
Subject: RE: FileUpload Control within UpdatePanel
Date: Mon, 5 May 2008 09:21:01 -0700

Anil Abraham

Is there any way to make an aspFileUploadcontrolwork within anUpdatePanel?
Thanks,
Garyh

yes make use of trigerrs as follows

<Triggers>
<asp:postBackTrigger ControlID="btnUpload" />
</Triggers>