Finding all time periods for a given interval within a date range

Discussion in 'Python' started by Graeme Longman, Aug 4, 2004.

  1. Hi everyone,

    I was wondering if anyone has written some Python code which uses a start
    date and end date and a given interval (day, month or year) and outputs all
    the time periods for that range and interval.

    For example you may wish to find all the months between the dates
    '2004-02-14' and '2004-08-04'. You would maybe use a function where you pass
    in those starting and ending dates and the interval 'month' and you'd get
    back a list of those months. I guess you would need to year part of the date
    too, so ['2004-02', '2004-03', '2004-04', '2004-05', '2004-06', '2004-07',
    '2004-08']. If you had passed in 'day' as the interval then you would be
    given back a list of all the days in those months.

    This is pretty specific but I would appreciate anything similar or even a
    good pointing in the right direction of which modules to use. I've taken a
    look at 'time' and 'calendar' but all I could see what the
    'calendar.calendar' function which would require quite a bit of string
    processing after getting the calendar strings.

    Thanks for any help :)
    Graeme

    ---

    http://www.star.net.uk

    Graeme Longman, Aug 4, 2004

  2. Try using dateutil module by Gustavo Niemeyer found at:
    https://moin.conectiva.com.br/DateUtil

    from datetime import date
    from dateutil.rrule import *
    d1 = date(2004,2,14)
    d2 = date(2004,8,4)
    for d in rrule(MONTHLY, d1, until=d2):
    print d.year, d.month

    2004 2
    2004 3
    2004 4
    2004 5
    2004 6
    2004 7

    Substitute MONTHLY with DAILY in the rrule and you will get list of days

    Waldek

    Waldemar Osuch, Aug 4, 2004