Finding Orphaned Files On A Website

newspost2000

I have a golden list of urls to each and every file on our corporate
website. This includes all webpages and file resources. I am looking
for a tool whereby I can plug in the base url of our website and also
plug in this golden list of urls and have the program figure out which
files are orphaned and not linked to any other webpage on our site. Is
anyone aware of a tool that will do this?

Thanks

Els

newspost2000 said:
I have a golden list of urls to each and every file on our corporate
website. This includes all webpages and file resources. I am looking
for a tool whereby I can plug in the base url of our website and also
plug in this golden list of urls and have the program figure out which
files are orphaned and not linked to any other webpage on our site. Is
anyone aware of a tool that will do this?

Thanks

Xenulink does that, without the need for the golden list of urls.
(needs ftp access)
http://home.snafu.de/tilman/xenulink.html

newspost2000

My site is contained in a Notes Database. FTP will not do because all
of the files and contents or our website are not contained as
individual files on a web server but are contained in one file which is
a Lotus Notes Database (.nsf). This is why the only other option that
I have is produce a comma separated list of urls that I can pull into a
system and then that system can find which files are on the list that
were not found through a the public search of our site and then
identify those as the orphans. Can Xenu do that?

Els

newspost2000 said:
My site is contained in a Notes Database. FTP will not do because all
of the files and contents or our website are not contained as
individual files on a web server but are contained in one file which is
a Lotus Notes Database (.nsf). This is why the only other option that
I have is produce a comma separated list of urls that I can pull into a
system and then that system can find which files are on the list that
were not found through a the public search of our site and then
identify those as the orphans. Can Xenu do that?

I don't know - but Xenu gives you an entire list of valid urls too.
Seems to me that once you have that, it's just comparing one list with
the other and the difference should be the orphans.

KiwiBrian

Reading the Xenu info I can see no reference to the program being able to
identify "orphan" files.
I understand the term "orphan" to mean files, such as for example images,
that do not have a link pointing to them.
I hope that I am wrong and that it can do this.
I am looking for such a program, other than Dreamweaver.
Brian Tozer

Els

KiwiBrian said:
Reading the Xenu info I can see no reference to the program being able to
identify "orphan" files.
I understand the term "orphan" to mean files, such as for example images,
that do not have a link pointing to them.
I hope that I am wrong and that it can do this.
I am looking for such a program, other than Dreamweaver.

Once you installed it, open the program, go to menu > options. You get
a list of things to tick/untick, and the bottom one is "orphan files".

It does ask for FTP credentials though, but that sounds logical to me.

--
Els http://locusmeus.com/
- Renato Russo -

Alan J. Flavell

Reading the Xenu info I can see no reference to the program being
able to identify "orphan" files.

If you're running it over the network to an httpd, it rather obviously
cannot find files to which it has no links!

You have to allow it to see the actual files on the server. This
doesn't appear to be documented in the prog's own documentation, but
ISTM that a quick giggle for the terms xenu and orphan could have got
you to

http://members.chello.nl/f.visser3/xenu/10-orphaned-files.html

and a couple of other interesting-looking pages, faster than posting a
question here.

Have fun.

[1] it sets a better impression, especially when posting or
crossposting to a group in the big-8 hierarchy, if one follows the
long-standing netiquette in this regard.

Spartanicus

KiwiBrian said:
Thankyou Alan and Els. Great news!!

Please quote a minimum amount of what you are replying to.

To temper your enthusiasm: note that Xenu only parses HTML files, this
means that files linked from for example Javascript or CSS are also
reported as orphan files.

Big Bill

Reading the Xenu info I can see no reference to the program being able to
identify "orphan" files.

Read it again then, it can.
I understand the term "orphan" to mean files, such as for example images,
that do not have a link pointing to them.
I hope that I am wrong and that it can do this.

You are, it can. It will need ftp access though. So does WebLV to do
the same thing.

Now it may be that you don't have ftp access, no matter how improbable
that sounds, and still want to be able to identify orphan files. How
you'd do that, I dunno. But at least you've learned a bit by asking.

BB

Joined
Jan 3, 2013
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
I have a golden list of urls to each and every file on our corporate
website. This includes all webpages and file resources. I am looking
for a tool whereby I can plug in the base url of our website and also
plug in this golden list of urls and have the program figure out which
files are orphaned and not linked to any other webpage on our site. Is
anyone aware of a tool that will do this?

Thanks

Sorry to resurrect this one, but there's an interesting thread at sitepoint regarding this subject. See sitepoint.com/forums/showthread.php?944831-Detecting-orphan-files