First mail...

Mayuresh Kathe

Hello all,

I've just joined the Ruby community by subscribing to this mailing list.
This is a consequence of just getting exposed to the improved Ruby language.

Though I'd first experimented with it 6 years back for using it as a
tool for teaching programming to school children, Matz had dissuaded
me from doing so as the language wasn't matured enough.
I'm revisiting it as a result of all the hoopla going on about Ruby on Rails.

I come from a Smalltalk background, then was made to work in C++ and
Java for the past 12 years.
I find Ruby to be of the same style as Smalltalk, "All Objects, All
the Time" :)
Stuff like 5.times {puts "Hello World"} is fun ;-)

Expect to master the language and contribute to the community in the long run.

Best Regards,

~Mayuresh

Robert Klemme

2008/8/6 Mayuresh Kathe said:
Hello all,

I've just joined the Ruby community by subscribing to this mailing list.
This is a consequence of just getting exposed to the improved Ruby language.

Though I'd first experimented with it 6 years back for using it as a
tool for teaching programming to school children, Matz had dissuaded
me from doing so as the language wasn't matured enough.
I'm revisiting it as a result of all the hoopla going on about Ruby on Rails.

I come from a Smalltalk background, then was made to work in C++ and
Java for the past 12 years.
I find Ruby to be of the same style as Smalltalk, "All Objects, All
the Time" :)
Stuff like 5.times {puts "Hello World"} is fun ;-)

Expect to master the language and contribute to the community in the long run.

Welcome aboard! And I hope you do have a lot of fun using Ruby. :)

Cheers

robert

Joshua Ballanco

Mayuresh said:
Though I'd first experimented with it 6 years back for using it as a
tool for teaching programming to school children, Matz had dissuaded
me from doing so as the language wasn't matured enough.
I'm revisiting it as a result of all the hoopla going on about Ruby on
Rails.

On that note, I've found it rather enlightening to read through Alan
Kay's "Early History of SmallTalk"
(http://www.smalltalk.org/smalltalk/TheEarlyHistoryOfSmalltalk_Abstract.html)
and then compare that to _why's "The Little Coder's Predicament"
(http://whytheluckystiff.net/articles/theLittleCodersPredicament.html).
There's much to learn and do in the Ruby world!

-Josh