FIT ( or Fitnesse ) ... for Ruby?

Jeff Wood

I read once that Dave Thomas is/was working on a port of Fit ( or
Fitnesse ) to Ruby. Where has that project gone? I haven't heard
anything recent ...

Anyways, I'd love to know I think Fit is a great idea, and it could be
another killer app ( at least in my world ) for Ruby...

Fit can be read about @ http://fit.c2.com
Fitnesse can be read about @ http://www.fitnesse.org

Let me know, please.

j.

Giulio Piancastelli

Hi Jeff,

I'm working on a Ruby conversion of the FIT Java version 1.0 right now.
I've also posted a note on the FIT wiki (see
http://fit.c2.com/wiki.cgi?RubyPlatform at the bottom of the page) to
let interested people know about it.

The Ruby code I've written is in FIT SourceForge CVS. You can have a
look at it from viewcvs at

http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/fit/fit/imp/ruby/

Or you can download it from CVS and try it for yourself. As of now,
every test for the 1.0 specification works on my machine. I'm still
behind in packaging it to release an archive and/or a gem to the
public, but I'll hopefully get around these issues. If you decide to
try it, please let me know your opinion on the funcionalities, the
code, and everything you happen to think of could be improved: I'm very
much looking forward to some feedback.

No work on a FitNesse support has been done. I've only read something
about a server protocol to talk to the FitNesse application, and had a
quick look at the Python code in the PyFit version by John Roth
actually and actively supporting FitNesse. This would be an interesting
path for future developement nonetheless.
Best Regards,
Giulio Piancastelli.

Dave Thomas

I read once that Dave Thomas is/was working on a port of Fit ( or
Fitnesse ) to Ruby. Where has that project gone? I haven't heard
anything recent ...

Ward asked me to port his Java version to Ruby, which I did a long time
back. At that point, he was interested in keeping all implementations
of it the same, and so was very keen that the port was basically a
transliteration of the original source. That lead to some really ugly
Ruby code, which was depressing to work with.

On top of that, Fit had a very Java-centric interface: the way the
column headings were interpreted, for example, made sense in Java but
wasn't particularly workable in dynamically-typed languages such as
Python and Ruby. There were workarounds, which Brian and I experimented
with, but again it wasn't particularly pleasant.

I handed the code over a while back. I believe it should be available
from the Fit project -- you might want to ask Jim Little.

Cheers

Dave

Ryan Davis

Ward asked me to port his Java version to Ruby, which I did a long
time back. At that point, he was interested in keeping all
implementations of it the same, and so was very keen that the port was
basically a transliteration of the original source. That lead to some
really ugly Ruby code, which was depressing to work with.

I'm pretty sure Ward forfeited any rights wrt QA/testing when he went
to the evil empire. ;)

Jeff Wood

Ryan said:
I'm pretty sure Ward forfeited any rights wrt QA/testing when he went
to the evil empire. ;)
Ok,

So, here's a new question. Why hasn't *SOMEONE* written a FIT "like"
app for Ruby. Fit is cool, but yes a version "done-the-ruby-way" would
be be uber-useful.

Anyways, just thinking outloud.

I've kinda been thinking about this for quite some time... Would really
like to see something happen.

j.