    Fitnesse can be read about @ http://www.fitnesse.org

    Let me know, please.

    j.

    Jeff Wood, Jan 7, 2005

  2. Hi Jeff,

    I'm working on a Ruby conversion of the FIT Java version 1.0 right now.
    I've also posted a note on the FIT wiki (see
    http://fit.c2.com/wiki.cgi?RubyPlatform at the bottom of the page) to
    let interested people know about it.

    The Ruby code I've written is in FIT SourceForge CVS. You can have a
    look at it from viewcvs at

    http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/fit/fit/imp/ruby/

    Or you can download it from CVS and try it for yourself. As of now,
    every test for the 1.0 specification works on my machine. I'm still
    behind in packaging it to release an archive and/or a gem to the
    public, but I'll hopefully get around these issues. If you decide to
    try it, please let me know your opinion on the funcionalities, the
    code, and everything you happen to think of could be improved: I'm very
    much looking forward to some feedback.

    No work on a FitNesse support has been done. I've only read something
    about a server protocol to talk to the FitNesse application, and had a
    quick look at the Python code in the PyFit version by John Roth
    actually and actively supporting FitNesse. This would be an interesting
    path for future developement nonetheless.
    Best Regards,
    Giulio Piancastelli.

    Giulio Piancastelli, Jan 8, 2005

  3. Jeff Wood

    Dave Thomas Guest

    Ward asked me to port his Java version to Ruby, which I did a long time
    back. At that point, he was interested in keeping all implementations
    of it the same, and so was very keen that the port was basically a
    transliteration of the original source. That lead to some really ugly
    Ruby code, which was depressing to work with.

    On top of that, Fit had a very Java-centric interface: the way the
    column headings were interpreted, for example, made sense in Java but
    wasn't particularly workable in dynamically-typed languages such as
    Python and Ruby. There were workarounds, which Brian and I experimented
    with, but again it wasn't particularly pleasant.

    I handed the code over a while back. I believe it should be available
    from the Fit project -- you might want to ask Jim Little.

    Cheers

    Dave

    Dave Thomas, Jan 8, 2005
  4. Jeff Wood

    Ryan Davis Guest

    I'm pretty sure Ward forfeited any rights wrt QA/testing when he went
    to the evil empire. ;)

    Ryan Davis, Jan 8, 2005
  5. Jeff Wood

    Jeff Wood Guest

    Ok,

    So, here's a new question. Why hasn't *SOMEONE* written a FIT "like"
    app for Ruby. Fit is cool, but yes a version "done-the-ruby-way" would
    be be uber-useful.

    Anyways, just thinking outloud.

    I've kinda been thinking about this for quite some time... Would really
    like to see something happen.

    j.

    Jeff Wood, Jan 9, 2005