[ANN] MagickWand for Ruby 0.2.0

Tim Hunter

I've just uploaded the second beta release of MagickWand for Ruby, my
new binding to ImageMagick. MagickWand for Ruby is a complete rethinking
of RMagick. I call it "RMagick rebooted."

MagickWand for Ruby objects are managed by Ruby just like any other
object. There is no need for your scripts run GC or call a special
method to destroy them.

This release adds the Drawing class for creating 2D drawings. If you're
familiar with RMagick then MagickWand::Drawing is similar to
Magick::Draw, although perhaps a bit easier to use. It is not as
complicated as RVG.

MagickWand for Ruby requires a _very_ recent release of ImageMagick,
6.5.0 or later.

If you're familar with RMagick probably you've got some questions.

1. Is it easier to install than RMagick?
No, it's exactly the same. You have to install ImageMagick and its
delegate libraries just like you do for RMagick. The MagickWand for Ruby
gem does not install any documentation, though, so it installs faster
than RMagick.

2. Do we really need another binding to ImageMagick?
I like to think that MagickWand is to RMagick what _District 9_ is to
_Alien Nation_.

3. Why did you do it?
In the 6 or so years I've been working on RMagick, Ruby has changed a
lot. So has ImageMagick. So have I. I've learned a lot about Ruby and
ImageMagick. MagickWand incorporates everything that I've learned.

4. Is this the end of RMagick?
Absolutely not. I've supported RMagick for over 6 years. I don't plan on
stopping bug fixes or enhancements.

Everything there is to know about MagickWand for Ruby is at
http://magickwand.rubyforge.org.

Report bugs, ask questions, whatever, at the usual locations on
RubyForge [http://rubyforge.org/projects/magickwand/]. If you do try it
out, you'd be doing me a great favor by dropping me a line to say so.

Credits: Thanks to Luis Lavena for rake-compiler, and Thomas Leitner for
webgen.