Font suggestions ??

Mel Smith

Hi:

I've been following the 'Google Fonts' thread with interest, and have
downloaded and tested a few of them (in Firefox 3.6.3, Opera, IE7, Chrome,
and Safari.

Question:

If I utilized these fonts, which of threm would be a good 'all-round'
font for screen browsing ??

That is, if you had to pick just *one* font for all your web page
development, which of these Google Fonts would you select ?

Thanks !

-Mel Smith

idle

Hi:

I've been following the 'Google Fonts' thread with interest, and have
downloaded and tested a few of them (in Firefox 3.6.3, Opera, IE7, Chrome,
and Safari.

Question:

If I utilized these fonts, which of threm would be a good 'all-round'
font for screen browsing ??

That is, if you had to pick just *one* font for all your web page
development, which of these Google Fonts would you select ?

Thanks !

-Mel Smith

arial
;)

Adrienne Boswell

Idle said:

I guess this is no place for newbies with imperfect questions. :(

-Mel

It's a matter of the author's personal taste. I might choose Tangerine, it
could probably look nice for level 1 and maybe level 2 headings.

dorayme

Adrienne Boswell said:
It's a matter of the author's personal taste. I might choose Tangerine, it
could probably look nice for level 1 and maybe level 2 headings.

The good author should be slave to the taste of others and must
choose on the basis that it is going to be OK with users. A
website is a thing where one's own personality must be quite
suppressed.

1

123Jim

Mel Smith said:
Idle said:

I guess this is no place for newbies with imperfect questions. :(

Some of those fonts look reasonable, some look awful, but until these google
fonts work perfectly in every browser known to human kind I wouldn't use
this method to specify a font for anybody's web page.

Adrienne Boswell

The good author should be slave to the taste of others and must
choose on the basis that it is going to be OK with users. A
website is a thing where one's own personality must be quite
suppressed.

Agreed, so one should use a fallback font, and given whatever font is
chosen, should be one that is easy to read - and then, probably for only
level 1 or 2 headings.

Jeremy J Starcher

Idle said:

I guess this is no place for newbies with imperfect questions. :(

-Mel

Or some users, like me, choose the fonts *they* want in their browser
setup and dislike when those fonts are overridden for no good reason.

While there may be times and places for a particular "themed" font, IMHO,
most of the time fonts and other effects are overused in place of good
content.

I'd have to grep my style sheets, but I don't believe that I ever specify
a font-face anywhere on my pages.[1]

[1] Ah... I lied, kinda. I have some JS code that draws text on canvas.
In that setting, a font *must* be specified, so we choose sanserif.

Mel Smith

Lewis said:
I like the looks of Droid Serif a lot and Reenie Beanie, so one of those
I think.

All of them are quite decent looking.

Cardo is nice too.

Lews et al:

Thanks for the comments and suggestions !

-Mel Smith

Jeremy J Starcher

Don't allow pages to override your font choices.

I'm aware of that option, but alas, it has limitations. I've found
enough times when someone changes font to get Webdings or other special
characters ...